• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The Real Australian Lantern

Another great pepper from Ajijoe!!!

This might be the sweetest C.chinense I`ve ever eaten, but the best bit is also tastes similar to a Scotch Bonnet and has very little heat. It would be an awesome variety to grow for people who could`t stand the heat of a Scotch Bonnet or even Habanero. It really is quite delicious and the heat is around that of a Jalapeño, possibly a little less even. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf9WBClEQkc&feature=youtu.be

Great review as always Nigel! Got me thinking again about searching out more peppers to try that my wife could handle lol. Do you happen to know anything about the history of this pepper? Is it actually an Australian variety, or does it just have the name, similar to the Tasmanian habanero? Having only just got into peppers this year, other than 2 plants we called birds eyes (no idea what they actually were)that we had in my parents veggie patch when I was in my early teens, I actually have very little knowledge about anything to do with peppers back home. 

Have you had the chance to compare the different Lanterns to each other - Gold lantern ,purple lantern etc.
Especially the purple lantern has several PI #'s and sources of origin that seem to be the same pepper.

Just wondering if they are variations or strains...

I really like Golden Lanterns a lot for taste and looks.
The Aussies sound like they have less heat but might have similar taste.
Landrace version of the Golden?

Just wondering...Gold are the same color but more uniformed in shape.VERY heavy producers for me...

Then there is Aji Rojo...Pod shape etc. but not mild...not really hot or hab hot (maybe on the lower hab scale at most).Red not orange.

BUT that doesn't matter these days.
If a grower thinks a pod is ripe at whatever color,they pick the pod...
If they let a Black,brown,green,yellow or whatever pod ripen on the plant past the names discrition it might be red or whatever.

Lots of pods these days are picked as whatever color the grower thought the seed would grow.
IF they waited a few days or weeks (whatever)the true ripe color wouldn't be Yellow,brown,green or whatever.

I have not had a chance to compare a lot of different lanterns, no. In fact I`ve sampled only 2 - The Australian Lantern and The Peach Lantern. For what it`s worth, they were as different as chalk and cheese. I think you make some interesting points about Landrace vs garden variety. I wish I could be more helpful. 

Back