• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The THP Compendium of Filipino Cuisine

As a few of you all know that I am an aspiring chef. As I am filipino and for the some of you who are interested in my native cuisine I would like to impart some things that myself and my fellow countrymen know and love, our food.

Here's my first contribution: Filipino Style Shrimp Paste

What it is:

bagoongmango.jpg

bagoong2.jpg

It is an accompaniment in filipino cuisine. One of the few things we hold dearly and something that is very filipino. It is used as an accompaniment and as an ingredient in many local dishes. As seen in the above picture, it's used as a dip for sour / unripe mangos. Great to bring out the flavor of the mango and add a different dimension. For those who love the sour taste of unripened mango.

This is very much similar to the thai version. But this is our version. The kind we have here. There are lots of versions of this accompaniment. Each region of my country has their own version.

This is the popular version that most people have at home.

We call it Bagoong, pronounced as bag-oh-ong. i know it'll sound different for most folks but whatever. =D

please bear in mind, not everyone will like this, not everyone will eat this. and as this is my first contribution to the forum, this first recipe does not make up the whole entirety of filipino food. i'm only bringing the stinkiest one but possibly the most versatile ingredient we have in our cuisine.

The Recipe:

as is in many cuisines, recipes are not inflexible. cook it to your taste, cook it to your liking, and make it your own. =D

a word of warning before I begin, please cook this outdoors or times when people are not home or asleep. lol. Why? this stinks of the highest degree.

this is mostly the generic recipe of the tastiest one:

Bagoong Ingredients:

1/4 kilo of pork trimmings / fat
some lard for flavor
vegetable oil
crushed / minced garlic
small diced red onions
2 pcs. birds eye peppers
2 or 3 roma tomatoes
one kilo of small shrimp/shrimp skins if you can't find any small shrimp

you need the smallest possible shrimp you can find, if possible baby shrimp

Cooking Procedure:

1. crush up the shrimp into a paste, preferably in a pestle and mortar
2. Cook the pork in its own juice until it renders fat and sauté until the meat is brownish.
3. separate the cooked meat to one side and fry the garlic using the pork fat until golden brown.
4. Throw in the onions and tomatoes, and sauté together with the pork until the tomatoes are mashed.
5. Add in the shrimp paste and continue frying over low to medium heat until desired consistency.
6. You may wish to add vinegar, chili and sugar for zest, zing and sweetness.
7. Remove from oil and drain or leave it drenched in pork fat.

sorry, kinda copied and pasted the recipe. =D

you could also leave a bit of the pork bits in but that might make the paste go bad faster. if you wanna drain the concoction of the oil / fat, please remember that this is what preserves it.

storage: leave to cool in a jar or container til room temp. then refrigerate. will last around 2 months in the fridge if done right.

if done right, the smell of the sauteed shrimp paste will not smell too bad and will actually smell pork-ish and slightly fermented shrimp

will add more in the future.

thanks everyone. hope you guys enjoy this.

Awesome job man, this will be great, like you said very versatile Im gona use this this for my thai curry paste instead of store bought shrimp paste

longanisa recipes? i'll look for some good ones for ya.

i'll do filipino style adobo first, then the longanisa recipe. sound good? =D

wickedmojo requested i do adobo first. thanks.

Thanks for the recipe but I'm looking to see some of your own recipes and pictures since you're an aspiring chef.

Throwdown some fish!

Requests? how about the winning lottery ticket numbers for next week ?????

Just Kidding!

Thanks you for sharing that recipe. Is the stinky warning just because some people don't care for fish/seafood smells? I can see where it would be strong with the onions, garlic pork and shrimp, but that all sounds like happy smells to me!

Looking forward to some more ideas from you. Thanks for sharing.
SL

Oh! and I think THP was referring to the upcoming Fish Throwdown the first weekend in August. Just a fun little cooking thing.

Thanks you for sharing that recipe. Is the stinky warning just because some people don't care for fish/seafood smells? I can see where it would be strong with the onions, garlic pork and shrimp, but that all sounds like happy smells to me!

since it's sort of a fermented sort of smell, it won't exactly smell the good old homey kind of smell. it kinda smells of shimp that's gone bad then frying it up again.

pretty bad =D

Oh! and I think THP was referring to the upcoming Fish Throwdown the first weekend in August. Just a fun little cooking thing.

ok, i guess i kinda misunderstood thp. hehe

Yes, eager to see your own cooking, so enter the Throwdown and cook Filipino fish!

not all that confident with my cooking skills right now. someday i will. =D

my own dishes are mostly western style.

Come on TB makes veggie tacos and PF puts ribs in the oven and they both have crowns :lol:

Do it!!!!

Tell him folks.

As per request: Filipino Style Adobo

Our version isn't the same. As most adobos are primarily a rub or a marinade.

This is a quote from Wikipedia on our version:

In Filipino cuisine, adobo refers to a common cooking process indigenous to the Philippines.[1] When the Spanish took administration over the Philippines in the late 1500s through Mexico City, they found an indigenous cooking process that involved stewing with vinegar. They referred to this method as "adobo." Over time, dishes prepared in this manner came to be known by this name as well.[1] Philippine Adobo, rooting from a simple recipe of oil, vinegar, pepper and basil, has been presented in many different ways, being a flexible dish that can be cooked according to a person or culture's disciminating taste. It may also be cooked with different types of meat, including pork, chicken and beef.

1456344610053409274S425x425Q85.jpg

Here's a classic version to the Filipino Style Pork / Chicken Adobo

Estimated cooking time: 50 minutes. Adobo is the most popular Filipino dish enjoyed by all classes. Adobo is typically served with steamed white rice.

Adobo Ingredients:

* 1/2 kilo pork cut in cubes + 1/2 kilo chicken, cut into pieces or
* choice of either 1 kilo of pork or 1 kilo of chicken
* 1 head garlic, minced
* 1/2 yellow onion, diced
* 1/2 cup soy sauce
* 1 cup vinegar
* 2 cups of water
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 5 laurel leaves (bay leaves)
* 4 tablespoons of cooking oil or olive oil
* 2 tablespoons cornstarch
* Salt and pepper to taste
* 3 tablespoons water

Adobo Cooking Instructions:

* In a big sauce pan or wok, heat 2 tablespoons of oil then sauté the minced garlic and onions.
* Add the pork and chicken to the pan. Add 2 cups of water, 1/4 cup of soy sauce, vinegar, paprika and the bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or when meat is tender.
* Remove the pork and chicken from the sauce pan and on another pan, heat cooking oil and brown the pork and chicken for a few minutes.
* Mix the browned pork and chicken back to the sauce and add cornstarch dissolved in water to thicken.
* Add salt and/or pepper if desired
* Bring to a boil then simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
* Serve hot with the adobo gravy and rice.

Adobo Cooking Tips:

* You have the option to add crushed ginger to the onions and garlic when sautéing. Ginger adds a unique flavor to your pork/chicken adobo.

As one can surmise, we filipinos tend to eat more pork than beef. As pork here is cheaper. During the old days filipinos used to raise their own pigs and chickens. Raising cows for meat wasn't very prevalent in our country. As pigs and chickens require much less space, it was our meat of choice.

Aside from having fish and other seafood, of course.

We like mixing the pork and the chicken together as to infuse some pork flavor into the chicken. =D

I have also heard that our filipino style adobo is a western favorite. This will please a lot of people for sure.

Feel free to add hot peppers into the mix. I also tend to also squeeze a little bit of lime/lemon/calamansi into my adobo as to add fresh taste into it. (but this is a personal preference)

Drain or don't drain the oil from the adobo, your preference. Adobo is best eaten when it's cooled down and left in the fridge for at least 6 hours then heat it up again. By then, the flavors have settled and deepened even more.

Application of Filipino Style Shrimp Paste / Bagoong:

Bagoong Fried Rice! It's awesome!

bagoong-rice.jpg

In this picture, Bagoong Fried Rice is served with Chicken Breast, Egg, Cucumber slices, and a lime wedge (can't figure out what the thing on the left is though, lol)

This is a rice dish that was inspired by Thai Cuisine. Already getting quite widespread in Filipino Restaurants as of late.

Bagoong Fried Rice

2 tablespoons light olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons dried shrimp powder
2 tablespoons seasoned bagoong
1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
1 siling haba or hot red pepper, finely chopped
4 cups cooked rice
3 spring onions, coarsely chopped
1 sprig coriander, chopped
¼ cup shredded green mango
sliced cucumbers for garnish

* Heat the oil in a wok, add the onion and garlic and stir fry until soft. Add the dried shrimp powder, stir cook for 1 minute then add the shrimp paste, mixing thoroughly. Add the rice and mix well. Throw in the spring onions and coriander and stir together. Serve the rice with strips of omelet on top, sliced cucumbers, and green mango strips.

You can also include some tomato sauce into the bagoong fried rice for an added dimension of flavor.

You can eat the bagoong fried rice with some fried beef tenderloins marinated in a little vinegar, soy sauce, garlic and sugar (aka beef tapa, not to be confused with the spanish dish tapas) or crispy adobo pork flakes.

In order to make the pork flakes, you just have to cut them up into smaller pieces and fry them up til crispy.

adobo-flakes.jpg

Enjoy! =D

Back