• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

The Topsy Turvy Tomato Planter

DatilDaddy

Banned
Im very interested in trying some of these.Seems they only have good results.

Has anyone ever used one before?

Pros and Cons?

Any info is much appreciated.

2007-3-tomato.jpg

Why do these things grow downwards?

And how about the strawberry planter for peppers?

I heard the strawberry planter works for peppers but only like 4 plants though(not supers) its not very big. I can never get anything to grow in them they stay alive for about a week then the plants start to die? the plants grow down cause of gravity just like we stay on the ground

personally, they are too much trouble to futz with...yes, I have used them...like P says...lots of threads...and I think there is a DIY one if you want to try it...you can make one for a whole lot less than $10.00 or even 5

I'm using one of the "Pepper specific" ones right now. Was a gift from a well meaning friend and I didn't intend to use it, but I had lots of seedlings and stuck some in there for fun. Growing like mad, even flowered before my traditionaly planted ones. Go figure. The peppers do grow "up" instead of falling down like the tomato.

Did your site search as told to do so, seems more of a novelty to some. Thats about all I found.

All info geared towards peppers in the planters.

Though it was mentioned in my post I was more interested in tomatoes as this is in "growing other".

Peppers in the topsy turvy strawberry planter more of an afterthought question.

Ill try again; Any past experiences with this product? Preferably the one specifically for tomatoes?

Info is greatly appreciated.

if you leave the TTs in the sunshine and it is full of wet soil, the straps that hold it up will break....maybe not right away, but they WILL break, especially in the wind...one of those full of wet/damp soil and a plant will weigh about 40 lbs...and when it falls....umhuh...right on the plant...

Tomato plants will become rootbound even faster than peppers, and there is no way to pot-up. The only place I think they would be practical is where you have very little room, like a balcony where you can maximize limited growing space
Tomatoes will start growing down due to gravity and will then start trying to grow upward again.
check link
http://flic.kr/p/546fKH

They use a massive amount of water. The one I've got peppers in takes at least a gallon a day and I'm still struggling not to lose pods. Though I have more pods on each of those plants than I do on any of my individually potted plants.

Oh, I see. Well you never hear about all of those things and now that I think about it thats probably not all of the bad points either. Thanks for the helpful posts so far. Seems I may be doing some real research on these soon if I choose to continue my interest.

In the best case, you will have a smaller, lower yield plant than if you just used a normal sized pot right side up on the ground. For ornamental plants where the point is to see a plant they make sense to me. Otherwise if you have a lot of vicious insects or animals on the ground that can keep the plant away from some of them.

We had them one year (gift from someone in a xmas exchange) and couldn't keep anything alive in it -- the heat made them dry out real fast and the soil temp was much higher (not a good thing in 100+ degree weather) - then when you watered it all ran down all over the area under the plant and the nutrients from the soil discolored all of the leaves on the plant since the water drained through the soil and out the bottom of the planter right onto the plant -- so you either tried to water less more often or had a mess all over when the water ran out the bottom of the planter.

I don't know about tomatoes, but I ve got some peppers in their pepper planter that are my best producers. They were put in there because they weren't as healthy at the time and would have gone on the compost otherwise. I have to give them a gallon and a half of water everyday, but they seem to be doing well. As far as the mess, I've got mine hanging on a shepherd's crook over my watermelon mound. End up watering both at the same time.

I had one and couldn't keep my tomato plant alive in it. After one season the stuff it was made of was sun bleached and brittle and came apart. It's just a gimmick.

If you want a vine of tomatoes hanging down just use a regular hanging basket. And have it hanging over another plant so you don't waste water.

Something that is a real upside down planter idea and should get a whole lot more attention is rotary hydroponics.

See here
http://inhabitat.com...roponic-garden/

It looks to me like a very efficient use of space light. Looks cool too.

Of course the sun and ground outside is pretty efficent too :P

Back