• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The very interesting Hairy Cherry

Hey guys, story time.

At the start of this season, I found a cool looking pepper plant growing semi-wild in the village I lived in Portugal. It was a surviving plant from the previous season, so there were little peppers left. I picked one pepper to procure some seed as I love me some cool varieties. Now the cool thing about this pepper was that it had cherry shaped fruit and it was hairy like a Goat's Weed. It was also definitely an annuum, and as far as I know, the only known hairy annuum variety is the Goat's Weed.

I thought maybe because of the weather cooling down the fruit I picked was a runt, not true to form, so I wanted to grow it out this season. I forgot about it and eventually planted it pretty late. Before it started setting fruit, I started moving back to the Netherlands. I left all my plants in the loving care of my GF's auntie and had no idea how they were doing until this week when I returned to Portugal to pick the last of our stuff.

To my surprise, those peppers were growing true to form. Because of the late start, there weren't many ripe peppers but I harvested as many seeds as I could from the pods that were ripe. They were thick walled, filled to the brim with seeds. They had more seeds than most bigger peppers I grew. My phone was out of juice at the time so I have no pics of the plant nor the inside of the pods. I will try to get a picture of the plant before I leave.

Here is a picture of the pod I picked in January, you can clearly see the fuzz on the stem (click on the picture for full size):

What do you guys think? Does anyone have a clue what it could be?

could it possibly be Solanum pseudocapsicum ? 

3TkIOhN.jpg

Please try to get a picture of the flowers 

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
could it possibly be Solanum pseudocapsicum ? 

Please try to get a picture of the flowers 

I've had one of those before so it crossed my mind at first. But I believe the Solanum Pseudocapsicum is not spicy, as it doesn't contain capsaicin? When I picked it the first time I held half of it against my tongue and it was quite spicy. I'll try to get a picture today.

Well I didn't have an opportunity to take a picture myself before my flight. The peppers were some distance away from where I was and I didn't have a car available. I've asked my aunt in law to take some pics for me. Keep you guys updated.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Back