• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The world's heaviest pod contest 2015

Those of you who look at my glog know that I enjoy posting pictures of my pods on a digital scale.  Some of my Yellow 7s are HUGE this year.  I thought it would be fun to start a thread where we can show off our heavy pods.  This is just for fun.  There are no entry fees and no prizes.  These are the rules:

1 - The Pepper must have been harvested in 2015.

2 - You must post a picture of the pod on a digital scale with a readout clearly showing.  You can purchase a jewelers scale for under $20.00  - something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-0-01g-Digital-Scale/dp/B0012LOQUQ/

3 - Since I've already weighed my entries with the stem intact, you are permitted to keep the stems on for the weighing, but may not have any other part of the plant attached.

4 - All entries will be in ounces, (oz) unless your scale does not report ounces.  In that unlikely event, I'll convert the unit of measurement to ounces.

5 -Unless you don't know what the pod type is, list what kind of Pepper it is.  Also, list the type of chile, such as:

Capsicum annuum
Capsicum baccatum
Capsicum chinense
Capsicum frutescens
Capsicum pubescens

We will have 1 winner for the biggest pod in the unlimited category, as well as a winner for each species type.  If you are growing a species not listed, you can automatically add that category with your entry.

5a  - Optional - List the name of the vendor or seed source.

5b   - Optional - describe the growing medium (Soil, Hydro, etc) size of container and fertilizer, as well as whether it was grown outside or inside under lights.  If grown inside, describe the types of lights, the lumens and light cycle.  

6 - The contest ends 11:59 P.M. 12/31/2015.  If there is enough interest, I'll start a new contest in 2016.

Here is the sticky on how to post images to the forum:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/33270-posting-picture-tutorial/

I am not posting my entries to brag; in fact, I hope that a lot of people post some monsters that kick my entries ass!

If you don't have an entry that is heavier than the current heaviest, you are not precluded from posting—this is for fun and for people to show off.  There is no limit on the number of posts per member, but please don't include anything without digital proof of the weight.

Here are my two entries, both .48 oz.

Pod Type - Yellow 7 Pot (99% sure)
Seed Vendor - Unknown.  This was from a cutting and I don't know the seed vendor from the mother plant.  It was from a seed mix-up, but from all sources I checked with, these appear to be yellow 7s.
Grown outside in a 5 Gallon paint bucket, filled with potting soil with occasional waterings of full strength MaxiBloom.

Entry #1:

Entry #2:

Will be super easy to destroy that since you did not limit type ;)

Giant Jalapeno 

11870860_1055263487840710_5853502211746545335_n.jpg

Pr0digal_son said:
Were they chinense? I have had 40g chocolate habs,a 50g chinense would be ludicrous!

Pulled a giant red rocoto that was easily 150g,if I new about this I would have weighed before I had eaten it.

I wish  :P  they were baccatum pods. Nice rocoto^ I also have some huge rocoto pods. will post pics when they are fully ripe and weighed

hottoddy said:
Always fun! How about categories (chinense, baccatum, etc)? Otherwise it might be a bunch of big-jim and bell-types in the winner's circle.
This makes sense, so how about:

1 - An unlimited category  - some guy with a giant bell will win.

2 - Separate categories for each type:

A)  Capsicum annuum
      B)  Capsicum baccatum
      C)  Capsicum chinense
      D)  Capsicum frutescens
      E)  Capsicum pubescens

Anybody growing any other species can automatically add that category with an entry.

I'll edit my first post with this information.

Heh, thought I would weigh one one my Great Stuff Bell Peppers - C. Annum.

My Ohaus Port-o-gram scale only goes to 300 grams. The pepper caused it to error out.

But seriously;

These are from earlier, I used grams.

Yellow Sun Habanero - C.Chinense
Live plant from Chile Plants

IMG_20150804_164722910.jpg

1.28 oz.

Yellow 7-Pot cross - C. Chinense
Seeds from a saved pod from last season.

IMG_20150803_165526331.jpg

0.82 oz.

alkhall said:
Heh, thought I would weigh one one my Great Stuff Bell Peppers - C. Annum.

My Ohaus Port-o-gram scale only goes to 300 grams. The pepper caused it to error out.

But seriously;

These are from earlier, I used grams.

Yellow Sun Habanero - C.Chinense

IMG_20150804_164722910.jpg

1.28 oz.

Yellow 7-Pot cross - C. Chinense

IMG_20150803_165526331.jpg

0.82 oz.
Damn,

I was impressed with my 0.48 oz Yellow 7s.  What is your growing medium and what nutes do you give it?

dragon49 said:
Damn,

I was impressed with my 0.48 oz Yellow 7s.  What is your growing medium and what nutes do you give it?

Well, it is actually a cross between a Yellow 7-pot and a King Naga. So, technically not a true 7-Pot.

Medium is dirt, as in my backyard with a little peat and some Miracle Grow Garden Soil mixed in to break up the clay.

I fertilize weekly with Alaska Fish and Neptune's Harvest Seaweed, both mixed at 80% of recommended concentration.

I have a few pods yet to ripen that may be a bit heavier, if size is any indication of weight...

alkhall said:
Well, it is actually a cross between a Yellow 7-pot and a King Naga. So, technically not a true 7-Pot.

Medium is dirt, as in my backyard with a little peat and some Miracle Grow Garden Soil mixed in to break up the clay.

I fertilize weekly with Alaska Fish and Neptune's Harvest Seaweed, both mixed at 80% of recommended concentration.

I have a few pods yet to ripen that may be a bit heavier, if size is any indication of weight...
My yellow 7 is outside, but in a 5 gallon bucket with potting soil, getting MaxiBloom once in a while.  Not sure if the container is limiting the size of the pods, but I am not disappointed at all. 

Back