• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

TheGreenChileMonster Fires Up The Weber Smokey Mountain

I'm doing some beef dino ribs today. I like to cook them as a mix of BBQ styles. Low and slow with lots of smoke, American BBQ style. I only use coarse salt as a direct seasoning on the ribs, but I make a salmuera to baste them with, Argentine style. I'll be using my WSM. I got my WSM about 2 months ago, and I've smoked a whole lamb, briskets, chickens, salmon, beef dinos, pork ribs, and pork butts. I've become very familiar with maintaining specific temps on the smoker. This will be 250 degrees all the way til it's done.

Rib blocks untrimmed

Rib blocks trimmed of the silverskin, and excess fat.

Ribs hit the Weber at 12:45. I'm using oak, hickory, and a bit of mesquite.

Now it's time to make a salmuera. This is a very traditional way to season meat during large cooks in Argentina. Usually with whole fire roasted lambs, beef rib blocks, and really any large piece of meat that is being grilled. I used fresh oregano and lemon thyme from my garden. All you have to do is jam your herbs in a clean wine bottle, then smash some cloves of garlic, drop those in, pour a good amount of salt in, and enough hot water to fill up the bottle. Shake the bottle to dissipate the salt throughout the salmuera, and let it sit for 20 minutes or so. About 1 hour into the cook begin basting your ribs every half hour or so with the salmuera to season them, and keep them from drying out.

Awesome!

very_interesting.jpg

I made a tasty salsa criolla to accompany the ribs. Very easy to make. Diced peppers, onions, and tomatoes. Splash of fresh squeezed lime/lemon, vinegar, EVOO, and S&P.

I saran wrapped the salsa criolla and dropped it in the fridge til the rins are done this evening. Salsa criolla tastes much better cold, especially in the Summer. Plus, all of the flavors get to meld a bit.

Back