• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

These scotch bonnets?

Posted these in the growing subforum, and got a reply saying they aren't scotch bonnets, but habs. Got my plants from Refining Fire Chiles and the label was attached to the container really well and I haven't mixed up the tabs so if they aren't bonnets, he sent me the wrong plant. Using these to brew a Belgian Tripel Spice today.

11v1p9g.jpg

1enaz6.jpg

15f2emc.jpg

Different views of the plant...

1604klw.jpg

29cknid.jpg

Update: Jim fixed everything, link to update: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/34803-refining-fire-chiles-update/#entry708112

I just ate one whole and the heat was absolutely insane. I ate half a ghost pepper last week and this was without a doubt much hotter. I know they say watering and not watering it to extremes can increase the heat but there's no way it can make it this much hotter. I ate 1/4 a 7-pot yesterday and that was nothing compared to this. Any ideas as to why it's so hot, or if it's not a hab(much hotter than any hab ive ever had), what it could be? I'm starting to think it's a different type of pepper all together, because my brother ate one after me and agreed with what I thought.

That looks exactly like my orange hab's.

And yes it is quite possible to kill or improve a peppers heat greatly depending on watering, root temperature, and soil nutrients. I've grown Fatalii's in the past in "Perfect" conditions and just out in the garden from the exact same seed stock and the difference is night and day. So depending on where you got your "ghosts" (I really don't like that cause people call different peppers Ghosts) from could make a huge difference.

I've personally had "ghosts" that were nothing more than a Bhut crossed with something else to produce a milder pepper for people to think they can eat them, similar to your store bought Frankenpeppers (Jalapeno).

Just my .02 but I could be wrong I am not nor am I making claims that I'm an expert grower.

Damn it, I have 3 freezer bags full of last years orange habs, and I bought that plant from Refining Fire Chiles too, now I got 2 more orange habanero plants covered in pods. Sucks because I bought the 2 "scotch bonnet" plants because i had so many orange habs left over from last summer.

So just to let you all know what happened and I take full responsibility for it. There are a few regular varieties in the past two years I decided to purchase in bulk rather than grow out because they were reputable large seed companies. The varieties I purchased were the following White habs, Scotch Bonnet, Chocolate habs and Jamaican Red and Jamaican Yellow. I never had any issues with germination on Jamaican Red and Yellow and they always have grown true. Last year many White habs had poor germination. This year Chocolate habs were so bad I had to toss all my seeds. And now a few customers have had their Scotch Bonnets come out either Yellow or Orange hab. So this year I am growing out these all again myself to make my own seedstock. I will make things right for this customer by hooking him up with some fresh pods as he has asked for that. As a businessman if I can buy from a reputable wholesaler I will as it costs me thousands every year to isolate all my other varieties. But as with any business when your supplier fails you have to make adjustments which I am doing. And even if it costs me losing money I will make it up to the customer. Not only will he get fresh pods but next season will get a box full of free plants shipped free to him as well. You have my word on it.

So just to let you all know what happened and I take full responsibility for it. There are a few regular varieties in the past two years I decided to purchase in bulk rather than grow out because they were reputable large seed companies. The varieties I purchased were the following White habs, Scotch Bonnet, Chocolate habs and Jamaican Red and Jamaican Yellow. I never had any issues with germination on Jamaican Red and Yellow and they always have grown true. Last year many White habs had poor germination. This year Chocolate habs were so bad I had to toss all my seeds. And now a few customers have had their Scotch Bonnets come out either Yellow or Orange hab. So this year I am growing out these all again myself to make my own seedstock. I will make things right for this customer by hooking him up with some fresh pods as he has asked for that. As a businessman if I can buy from a reputable wholesaler I will as it costs me thousands every year to isolate all my other varieties. But as with any business when your supplier fails you have to make adjustments which I am doing. And even if it costs me losing money I will make it up to the customer. Not only will he get fresh pods but next season will get a box full of free plants shipped free to him as well. You have my word on it.

Got your email, and I just wanted to say thanks and how impressed I am with how quickly and completely you're fixing this mistake. You've gone above and beyond what I was expecting and, even though I'm just a small time grower, I'll continue to buy from you in the future because of how you handled this, and would recommend you to others as well. Thanks again.

Just wanted to post a link to my update thread in case anyone comes across this topic in the future. Jim fixed everything and made everything right and then some, I'm very happy with the results.

Link to update: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/34803-refining-fire-chiles-update/#entry708112

Back