Thick habanero jam

Howdy all. I made a batch of Habanero jam the other month and I'm discovering that it came out a bit thick. Does anyone have any suggestions for a way to thin out the mix?

Howdy all. I made a batch of Habanero jam the other month and I'm discovering that it came out a bit thick. Does anyone have any suggestions for a way to thin out the mix?

This happened to me once, I answered the phone instead of watching the jam.
I solved it by mixing in some lemon juice.

That sounds reasonable, but as a sauce maker not a jam maker I am just going to watch. Post picturessss. Lol. If you decide to market some let me know and mark me down for a jar.

Was it a typical jam recipe with pectin? just change the name to Habanero JELLY and you are good to go! :)

If the intention of the product is a softer spread, my non-expert suggestion would be to melt/warm the sauce, add a tiny bit more liquid (water, fruit juice, citrus juice, ????) to thin it out a tiny bit and then re-pack it.

A very small difference of liquid/sugar/pectin/fruits measurements seems to have significant influence in the consistency and set up of jellies and jams. If you do try to re-batch it (which can be done per the Ball canning site) pay very close attention to measurements.

good luck-

Ball website-
http://www.freshpreserving.com/

That sounds reasonable, but as a sauce maker not a jam maker I am just going to watch. Post picturessss. Lol. If you decide to market some let me know and mark me down for a jar.

I posted a picture of my last batch, look for the thread "Habanero jelly" in the test kitchen bit of the forum.

I should have expanded on my first answer, as the water boils off the temperature rises.
The temperature determines the degree of set in the product.

If you continue to cook it you would end up with boiled sweets, I think Americans call it hard candy.
I am experimenting at the moment to get the right amount of chlli to give something you can eat.

If you PM me your address, I will send you a sample.

Is it thick as in it's like one solid blob? Or is it thick and loose? This matters.

Made a batch of raspberry-habanero jelly for the holiday that was a little on the thick side. Used too much pectin evidently. I just nuked it in the microwave in 5 second intervals until the right consistency.

I agree with Salsalady ^ that measurements need to be exact, slight variances came make a significant difference in how the jelly sets up.

Made a batch of raspberry-habanero jelly for the holiday that was a little on the thick side. Used too much pectin evidently. I just nuked it in the microwave in 5 second intervals until the right consistency.

I agree with Salsalady ^ that measurements need to be exact, slight variances came make a significant difference in how the jelly sets up.
Thanks for all the input everyone! I'm going to try to tweak my recipe a bit.

Back