• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Thick in the middle question...

Hopefully the title worked a few extra's into this thread but I have a really quick question. I have purchased plants that were only 5-6" tall and had a huge thick stalk straight from the soil that was already woody. My seedlings on the other hand are getting just as tall and full of leaves and flowers but the stalk still appears to be very fragile and green. I have them outside and have had a fan on them since they hooked indoors under lights. Im still so afraid to move them out of the cover of my patio because the stem seems too weak for the wind we have now. Is there anything that I can do to make their stem/stalk strengthen up and get woody?

Give them as much sunlight as possible and put in a stake and tie them to it for support.  Note which way the wind is blowing (on average) and place the stake facing the wind so they aren't jostled around as much.

Something else you can do is just put the pot they're in, into a larger diameter and taller pot.  This will provide some shielding from wind then you can remove it later... or of course, use a tall pot and don't fill it all the way to the top with soil so the plant at soil level is recessed down in the pot a bit.

Among these options I use stakes because I can't stand to see a larger pot going unused nor to see a pot not as full of soil as it'll hold.  Plus, my plants usually need stakes to stand upright later because I tend to get large gusts of wind through the end of July. 

Back