• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

recipe THICK & SWEET HOT SAUCE

midwestchilehead

Extreme Member
Ok here is a sauce recipe. I made this last year and it was damn tasty. I skipped the bell peppers and used New Mexico Heritage 6-4s and Billy Goat Habaneros instead. It was a searing, but not overwhelming heat, and had great flavor.

THICK & SWEET HOT SAUCE

8 oz red ripe bell pepper
2 lbs moderately hot ripe red peppers (jalapeno/serrano/gusto green etc.)
12 oz red ripe Anaheim peppers
1 cup Blues Hog Sauce (or other sweet BBQ sauce)
2 cups white vinegar
1 cup cider vinegar
½ cup balsamic vinegar
12 cloves garlic, minced
2 small yellow onions, coarsely chopped (about a pound)
1 7-oz can chipotles in adobo
3 Tbs chopped ginger
2 Tbs black pepper
4 tsp plain salt
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp mustard powder
1 20-oz can crushed pineapple
4 oz lemon juice

Core and seed the bell peppers, and chop coarsely. Remove stems from other peppers and chop coarsely, leaving seeds and cores. Combine peppers with all other ingredients in 6 quart or larger stock pot and bring to boil (with good ventilation). Reduce heat and let simmer, covered, one hour, stirring frequently to prevent scorching.

After simmering, puree all ingredients. A good immersion blender will be adequate, or use a blender or food processer.

Bring sauce back to boil and pack in sterile jars. Cover, let cool and refrigerate.

Makes about 4 quarts.

Good morning midwestchilehead.........
That really looks like an interesting recipe to try out.
But I'll have to wait until I'm able to harvest some of my New Mexico Heritage 6-4, and Big Jims.I don't ever recall seeing any red ripe NM chiles for sale anywhere around here. But thanks to your suggestion and prodding a few months back, I've got 6 healthy green chile plants setting blooms as we speak. Can't wait to begin roasting and filling the freezer.
I appreciate you posting the recipe.
CM

Back