• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Third Time’s a Grow: The Path to Space Bucket Automation

Welcome to my Grow Log! This is my third attempt at growing hot peppers using a custom-made "space bucket". This setup is two 5-gallon buckets outfitted with two LED lights to create a controlled, efficient environment for plant growth. While my previous tries have taught me a lot about lighting, watering, and plant care, this time I’m aiming for success with a goal of eventually automating the entire system.

My first bucket looked like this:

1726495108144.png

And although was really cool looking had some flaws. Most notably:
1. The light was terrible quality, and broke after a month or so.
2. The bucket itself was too short, and I think was too intense for the new plants.
3. I was terrible at growing peppers, and didn't understand how to water properly.

I then upgraded the bucket to something like this:
1726495208824.png

With the changes being:
1. Another bucket flipped, and stacked on top of the first one.
2. A camera hole.
3. 2 Par-38 wide angle LEDs.

That bucket is my current setup. However, I was still terrible at growing the actual peppers. I've recently read a lot more on maintenance, feeding, watering, and what not, so this is now my third attempt at a pepper, and I'm happy to announce that so far so good!
1726495352510.jpeg

I also just set up my first version of my "automation". Not much is happening, but I have an ESP32 micro-controller with a capacity soil sensor that is reporting the moisture level. This morning I just finished building a little dashboard that I can view wherever I am. I plan on having a watering system that will, on either schedule, event, or manual trigger, activate a pump and do the feeding.
1726495692491.png
1726495726913.png

I'm looking forward to updating with progress on the plant, the bucket, and the automation front!

Interesting setup! What type soil sensor are you using exactly?

@MarcV Just some cheap capacitative soil sensor. I got it from a wayintop 4 pack. I think it works okay. To be honest not 100% how accurate it is, but after I did some upper and lower bound readings I kinda know where its at.

Back