• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests this is how i control aphids on my pepper plant

aphids is asking for help but ant can only walk around.  ant cannot do anything!!

42866762814_7d10811cdc_c.jpg

Lek, are they from your surroundings or do you buy/breed these bugs?

I've only seen one ladybug in my garden here in Phuket so i've been looking around for someone who maybe sell larvas/ladybugs but no success this far :(

Reactions: lek
There is an episode of Trailer Park Boys called A Dope Trailer Is No Place For A Kitty (Episode) where Ricky uses ladybugs to kill mites on his pot plants. But what I keep reading is that the trick is keeping them around to keep eating pests. How do you do that? What keeps ladybugs in the area? Also, on the show, they discuss how one generation of ladybug goes to the next when they are all lady bugs.

Bicycle808 said:
The one on the bottom is awesome to behold. To which variety do those badazz larvae belong, Lek?
it's cool, right?  i only know the name in Thai language.  it's called เต่าทองลายหยักเหลือง.  

Caranx said:
Lek, are they from your surroundings or do you buy/breed these bugs?

I've only seen one ladybug in my garden here in Phuket so i've been looking around for someone who maybe sell larvas/ladybugs but no success this far :(

you can grow flowers to attract lady bugs to your garden.  then you need to collect only 1 female  and 1 male ladybugs in order to produce eggs.   

things you need
- small pot + soil mix
- green bean seeds
- clear small plastic box (e.g. 15cm x 15cm x 15cm)
- 1 female & 1 male ladybugs

it's not that difficult to raise your own ladybugs
- sow a lot of green bean seeds in small pot
- when you see first true leaves, continue growing for about 2 weeks
- release aphids on green bean seedlings and wait until there are a lot of aphids.

- poke a hole at the top of plastic box
- put paper towel inside the box.
- put male and female a ladybugs in the box
- put green bean seedling in the box
- wait until ladybugs lay eggs.
- remove male & female ladybugs and put into other box.

when larvae come out, release them on pepper plant

have fun!

Google yielded this when i typed in this เต่าทองลายหยักเหลือง

Attachments

• Menochilus-sexmaculatus1.jpg
    Menochilus-sexmaculatus1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 80
Walchit said:
Google yielded this when i typed in this เต่าทองลายหยักเหลือง

it could be menochilus sexmaculatus(fabricius) or cheilomenes sexmaculata(fabricius).   i don't know....  LOL

42955603234_b2c8da28e7_z.jpg

43671740301_1c53e2a0a1_z.jpg

29801725988_d6149e6a11_z.jpg

since this is pepper forum next time i will feed my ladybugs with pepper seedling.  :party:

28783432447_ef94cbb2da_z.jpg

Back