• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

This is not the best GLOG in the world, this is just a tribute.

Behold here by I present you my glog!

It is kinda ghetto OG-log guys if you frequent the chat chances are you seen these pictures already if not hold your pants.

I have planted various peppers and few tomatoes that I will list later on in this topic or you can just read them from the labels on the pictures.

So lets begin with the soil, i have two bags of different soil at hand one from last season..
([member=Rawkstah] : Can I use this soil from 3 years ago? -  , [member="Guatemalan Insanity Pepper"] - no that soil has it date expired :mope: " )
Bag numero uno,
zBl74BHh.jpg

very aerated light soil for plants that have problems rooting and some mycelium in it, drains like a mofo and can barely keep any moisture in it
 ​
second one that is potting soil rich will all of that sweet sweet nutritional value
cCAldUVh.jpg

Next i did 50/50 mix and started filling up the seedling trays.

IMyKHBUh.jpg

tgXDcrDh.jpg

47zMGich.jpg

Looking good very nice feeling in the hands, decided to use these plastic seed starting trays good big hole in the middle for drainage
uU9hUgfh.jpg

there we go all that good stuff spread around
TdpcLLGh.jpg

two down, two more to go.
Dt61ApHh.jpg

Time to bring out the seeds, seeds for days... seeds for days :cool: :sick:
vl6Xf3Oh.jpg

make hole, put seed in, cover up the hole , and repeat.

tsiYFA1h.jpg

By the time I finished making these little holes and putting the seeds in  I can feel my lower back muscles ( sup [member=fertilizer] ) because I exercise so much .... khm
[member=Meatward] - I am not fat I am bulking.
There we go all labeled and set
HCo9mReh.jpg

Week later this happens :
SNtDPuPh.jpg

shit I still do not have proper light because .... reasons xD. Better think fast... desktop lamp check, spare CFL 28W oh well it is what it is .. damn fast sprouting tomatoes
3cm for 24 hours god damn it, sudden realization gotta acquire some decent lights or ill be having some stretchy pencil sized seedlings in no time.
5Nn3RNXh.jpg

Still slacking on proper lights .... again.. because of ... reasons.
oface5hh.jpg

Next day, reach for the light!  .. ok ok I better get some damn lights fast I didn't expect them to grow this fast, bet the ones from the left hate me by now... i mean look at them.
yHAjdSxh.jpg

Let see whats in the ads for some cheap-o lighting .... hrm 4 - T8s rack, damnthisiswhatineed.jpg few hours later that day.

jQa4IXOh.jpg

Where we go better take it apart and hook up the power cord to see if it works ...not bad.. it has reflective part you can see it in back... almost.
Made frame out of water pvc pipes , damn this thing is heavy as f**k ... such metal... much heavy ... wow, ok positioned over the seedlings trays.

Damn image limit someone bump it, I typed all this stuff only to find out I can not post it all :snooty:

Well it will be a while before something happens now man :D, but i will try to snap some pics tommorw they are sitting happy in their small pots now outside, getting some sun burn here and there its been pretty hot last few days :x

Good to see those plants got potted up. The roots look super healthy, always good to see! Is that the mix you plan on using for their final containers? How does it appear to drain?

Coup said:
Gawjus plants bruh

The puppet master from The Land of Make-Believe speaks the truth.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Good to see those plants got potted up. The roots look super healthy, always good to see! Is that the mix you plan on using for their final containers? How does it appear to drain?

The puppet master from The Land of Make-Believe speaks the truth.

Yeah that will be the mix I will use for the final containers. In order to save money on soil, I decided to dig some dirt out from a place in the yard that I used to dump random branches / trees that I cut down in the past years. They eventually get burned for various occasions but some always are left out and pile up. This is what is looks like when I dig there and take out soil to mix with the packed bags:

HuEkyR2h.jpg

gp2Njgxh.jpg

n7jyJamh.jpg

5gQzRFlh.jpg

Not bad if you ask me, and it looks like rich soil and has that smell, if you ever been to the woods and try to dig up some humus from under the trees canopy.

I did mix some portion of it with random dirt from around the yard, some of the left over bags and pile it up into this container for futher user ( will be mainly used for flowers pots and adding as topsoil to last season containers that have perennial flowers in them)
QwgbXoqh.jpg

It drains pretty fast if you ask me, maybe too fast for when the temperatures get higher (read that as I don't want to water my plants every  2 days because of.... reasons :P). All of my plants that got transplanted are doing good, and I used normal soil dug up. I bet this will be even better considering the broken down organic matter that is inside. 

Well weather been shit in the past 3 weeks here, we had high temps to 26-30 in april and then 0C and bellow end of april and early may, had to take all the plants inside where I do not have lights feelsbadman.jpg. They stayed near window with not enough light poor things I took them outside today, been set back now a while also damn slugs this year with all that rainy weather man, but I expect them to bounce back by the end of the month. Also aphids infestation anyone?

5a6zdcj.jpg

JGdRPm7h.jpg

78Ruz6gh.jpg

queequeg152 said:
imidicloprid imo.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     That's a lot of aphids.  :sick: What are your plans for taking care of the problem? 

Imidacloprid's for people who don't know how to garden.  ;)

I have been using this bad boy on the aphids in the past, i can aquire it pretty easy and one smallest bag is for 10-12l of water so I can spray them like few times including the rest of the plants/trees in the yard cant beat the price.

click for link1

link 2

Once you spray they are gone in less than 30 mins with pretty much everything else that comes in contact with pretty brutal actually but for small and contained use like mine is perfect.

yea thiam is one of the 3 big neonics.

cloth thiam, and imidicloprid i think.

there are a few others... but those are the big 3.

I'm kidding about about that ^. ( I think queequeg knows that.) I use a little imidacloprid granules on my OWs every year when I bring them inside. No aphids on the OWs means no aphids in the house all winter. My thinking is that even though it's a systemic and bad for bees and any other insects that feed on pollen, it's probably out of the plant and the soil by the time they go outside in spring. 
     Do you ever have a problem with aphids outside during the summer?

its not really that bad for bees unless its sprayed or in a seed coating. the seed coating dust is super toxic.

even then... its not that bad.  the canadians did some work modifying seed equipment by adding wind anemometers and some vacuum equipment. seed coating companies also made some changes to the way they coat the seeds, they are now making them less firable so there is less dust when they are poured into hoppers and moving through the machine.

and i should say... spraying during flowering and or during daytime when bees are out and about doing bee stuff.

spraying in the evening ok... the stuff is destroyed by sunlight in just a few hours, but generally speaking you spray before flowering unless absolutly necessary.

HM01/QQ,

So you guys get the granulated stuff and spread around the container that you keep your OW's in and that takes care of the aphids?  How long does it take for the plant to absorb the chemical?  Would this take care of whiteflies as well?  Could this be used on seedlings that are 12" tall?

I ask because I get hit by a different pest every season indoors.  Never had an issue outdoors that I know of.  I bring in aphids every year, then I have seen mites, psyllids and this year I was hit by whiteflies.  I would certainly use this indoors if it would help.

i dont ever over winter anything. i dont care enough to be honest.

i let them dry out and die, then i cut them off and haul the stumps somewhere protected from rain to dry out... after like 2 months i grab the stump and beat it against the inside of a trashcan and throw away the root ball and save the soil...  i only do that for coir based mixes. peat is done after one season. peat mixes just get thrown or given away... spent peat is excellent for compost if you have a pile going .

i do not use granulated formations. imho soil drenching is best for containers so i do this.

i usually wait untill plants catch aphids or some such thing then i pump it out through my irrigation system.

i use the bayer fruit and nut tree formulation. its VERY expensive compared to commercial formulations on an active ingrediant per dollar basis, but i strongly believe in not buying more pesticide than you can use in a few years... pretty much all commercial formulations of imidicloprid are simply too concentrated for me... requiring levels so low that they cannot be measured with simple pipettes.

what i mean is... when you do the math to find out how much of the product you need for 1 plant... figures come out to like .02 ml per plant.

i multiply .01ml by 20 plants... and arrive at like .2ml of product in like 6 liters of water.  in order to measure out .2ml id need basically a diabetic syringe which is fine... but when i do the math, it would take me like 2,200 years to use it all.

macho 2f is what i looked at. its the generic of bayer admire... the classic imidicloprid formulation approved for almost all fruiting trees and vegistable crops including melons, peppers, most berries, NOT tomatos from what i remeber? idk.

https://www.keystonepestsolutions.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=247&gclid=CjwKEAjwjca5BRCAyaPGi6_h8m8SJADryPLhpPC6i3jGxWlwkA__OutnpYYUbkzweCQ_vH4B5qr6RxoClZnw_wcB

in the future id like to look into some of the clothanithan formulations to see if there is anything i can use there... but i dont feel like it this year. this year im going to pay for the fruit and nut yet again.

admire is what you wan to use to be 100% professional and straight with the law... can you use formulations like classic bayer 'merit' WG? yes you can but technically its illegal to use pesticides for anything OFF LABEL. 
fwiw. merit is the name brand WG(water dispursable granuals AKA WSG or rarely WDG) formulation. i  think its .5lb per... so not super concentrated like admire or macho2f( 2lbs per.)
will the epa kick your door down and kill your dogs? absolutly not, but to be clear here... its technically illegal.  you can do it, and it will almost certainly work, i just like to nerd out and pretend im a real farmer that sleeps late.

the best thing about the WG formulations is they come in these sachets... basically clay or DE impregnated with the active ingrediant and sometimes a surfactant.  one sachet is still like 100 gallons of water though, or atleast it is for the merit formualtions  if you get a good scale you can measure out the granuals down to what ever size you want... but keep in mind you might need a .01gram scale to do single gallon batches.

the bags of granuals are usually called sachets. they are usually 1.5 ounces or there abouts.

you can also get "G" formulations. G = granuals. these are NOT meant to be dissolved usually. these are usually fomrulated very low concentrations and are meant to be broadcast via machines onto lawns or blended into potting mixes. 

you can also get "SG" soluble granuals, basically same as WSG

you can also get "WSG" water soluble granuals, same as WG

you can also get "WP"  wettable powders.  basically powdered non granular version of WDG/WSG.

wsg = water soluble granuals. wdg is almost never used? maby i made that one up??

lets see.... liquids are

EC = emsulfied/ emsulfiable concentrate.

F = flowable liquid

and...

LC = liquid concentrate.

and ....

TC = termiticide concentrate?

i think TC i used for all the termite stuff unless its like a gell or foam. so you can get TC liquids or granuals?

i looked into all this way back i barely remember all of this, there are like 25 of them in total. 10 or so are what you see on a regular basis.

bpiela said:
HM01/QQ,

So you guys get the granulated stuff and spread around the container that you keep your OW's in and that takes care of the aphids?  How long does it take for the plant to absorb the chemical?  Would this take care of whiteflies as well?  Could this be used on seedlings that are 12" tall?

I ask because I get hit by a different pest every season indoors.  Never had an issue outdoors that I know of.  I bring in aphids every year, then I have seen mites, psyllids and this year I was hit by whiteflies.  I would certainly use this indoors if it would help.

Yup. For a 7 gallon pot, I just sprinkle about 2 teaspoons on the soil surface and water it in. The container says to use more, but I don't. The only times I had issues with aphids on my seedlings was when I brought in OWs that weren't treated adequately. Now that I'm treating my OWs, my starts are clean as a whistle - no need to treat them.

Back