• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

This pepper put the hurt on me!

Today I was out in the back yard looking at my pepper plants when I thought to myself " I'm going to try the Mystery pepper plant" I have no idea what it is and where the mix up happened.I have been putting time and effort into this plant which is totally unknown to me. But needles to say I picked a pod off and tossed it in my mouth, the first thing that came to mind was "I'm dumb".It burned the crap out of me.I know its not a "super hot plant" because I started it before I ever received any seeds of that level.This pepper is way way hotter then any habanero Ive ever had.
(QUESTION) Does anybody have a clue as to what kind of pepper it could be?

Looks like a Thai pepper to me; judging by the size compared to your finger. If it goes red then it's the one used in Som Tam which is a papaya salad. Those babies can put on a hurt for sure. They're the hottest pepper I've tangled with here. I believe they are rated to 100,000 Scovile. My red Habs are hotter, but I only recently got some harvested.

Prik (chili) Gra'reung (the name of the hill tribe) is the likely culprit. It's a hill tribe chili and is a notoriously hot (phet, pronounced pet) chili. It probably has a number of western names; but that is what my wife calls it. I love it; especially roasted over charcoal and eaten with pickled ginger and sour (fermented) sausage.
Hope that helps.

It looks most like an annuum to me, but I've never heard of any being hotter than a habanero. Let us know what color it ripens to.
Anybody know what the hottest annuums are?

It looks most like an annuum to me, but I've never heard of any being hotter than a habanero. Let us know what color it ripens to.
Anybody know what the hottest annuums are?

Tepins or Pequins I would guess ... the hundreds :) of Pequins I grew from IGGY by mid summer were stinging hot

definitely looks exactly like Aji Limon / Lemon Drop. Leaves and all. But no green on the inside of the flowers? should be interesting to see the final color.

here's my Limon this year.
AjiLimonJune262010.jpg

I know some people that always find pubescens like rocotos hotter than chinenses. Strange to me, but it must be to do with reactions to the different capsaicinoids other than, and including capsaicin

I have a cayenne that looks just like that justinero, leaves and all. I'm not saying thats what it is but man could pass for twins lol!

Charles

Back