• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

This year's Varieties!

This year I am growing several Varieties
2 different Jolokias
New Mex Heritage 6-4
Aji Dulce/ sweet pepper
The new bad ass heat king - Carolina Reaper

Ive heard of Lemon drop, how is that one? Im open to more mild easy on the mouth varities. Im just curious, how do you go about growing those chilies in your arctic climate?

papadaca said:
Ive heard of Lemon drop, how is that one? Im open to more mild easy on the mouth varities. Im just curious, how do you go about growing those chilies in your artic climate?

One of the easiest to grow Aji plants there is and produces ton of pods. Let the pods matures a few days in the plants, when they turn yellow and the taste will be good. Very lemony and fresh fruity flavor, i grow these every year.

To grow chilis in my arctic climate is to start early indoors using grow lights and use a greenhouse in the summer.

Chilidude said:
You really should grow more Aji chilis, these are good:

Aji lemon drop.
Aji Golden.
Aji pineapple.
Aji fantasy.

So glad to hear someone say this. Baccatums are some of my favorites.

Aji Lemon Drop will always have a place in my grow. Bright, citrusy, and hot but not insane hot. And from a grower's perspective, they're a fabulous plant; drop one of these bad boys in the biggest pot you can find or in a raised bed, and you'll get literally pounds per week from a single plant when it hits its stride.
Aji Golden: Great flavor, very similar to Aji Amarillo. Bigger pods than the Lemon Drop.
Aji Pineapple: I haven't been able to detect a difference between these and Aji Lemon Drop, but maybe it's just me.
Aji Fantasy: Probably my favorite peppers this season. There are two distinct phenotypes, white and yellow, and they're both outstanding.

Some other varieties to consider:

Aji Brazilian Starfish
Aji Colorado
Aji Cristal
Aji Dulce Margariteno
Aji Omnicolor
Aji Santa Cruz
Bishop's Hat
Inca Red Drop
Malawi Piquante
Peppadew
Sili-a-Top

These are just off the top of my head; I grow a bunch of them, including stuff with accession numbers. Some of the best pods there are.

I like to grow different Aji plants, as they are not that picky about the growing place. I think my next year growing will mostly be Aji based and i ordered a lot of different Baccatum varieties for the next year. Will put only few C.chinenses this time around, that i have found to be productive in our cooler climate.

Chilidude said:
I like to grow different Aji plants, as they are not that picky about the growing place. I think my next year growing will mostly be Aji based and i ordered a lot of different Baccatum varieties for the next year. Will put only few C.chinenses this time around, that i have found to be productive in our cooler climate.

My grow this year was fairly baccatum-heavy. I've actually got a few new accessions going that are going to be new to pretty much everyone. Very much looking forward to those first pods.

i'm growing many aji's this year and a couple for the first time.....aji panca and peruvian are the newest.....anyone know what to expect from these pods/plants?

Aji Dulce is an amazing C. chinense variety, it's basically an habanero with no heat and they're completely delicious.  I've had a lot of success growing those and they're great for family members who like the flavor of the species but can't handle the flames.

Back