• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

thoroughburro 2023, kith and kitchen

I’m just a week or so away from my first round of seed starting, and The List has stabilized.

As the title suggests, I’m focusing on a more shareable garden, this year. My high heat tolerance is well satisfied by sauces and flakes, so it’ll be a mercy to others and not much sacrifice to me if I cook more with mild or heatless peppers and lean into condiments for my own spice satisfaction.

Capsicum annuum​

4 Gogoşar (pronounced “gogoshar”; also transliterated as gogosar, gogosari, etc), a heatless Romanian variety whose name is confusingly also used generically for red pepper. My partner has very fond memories of this large, pumpkin-shaped pepper being roasted and then stuffed or preserved. They’re also used fresh, like red bell pepper. I had to import these seeds from a Romanian seller on Ebay who at first resisted since US customers had been leaving bad reviews for unreliable shipping. I assured her I would leave a good review regardless of ever getting them. It all worked out, and now of course I’m that much more invested in growing the variety…

4 Quadrato d’Asti Giallo, a superlative, heatless yellow bell pepper from Asti, in northern Italy. I grew this last year and, although the pods were stunted in only 5 gallons of soil, I was extremely impressed with the thick flesh and excellent flavor. Together with Gogosar, these should account for most of our “vegetable pepper” usage.

4 NuMex Heritage 6-4, well known as a choice, but mild, New Mexican cultivar. I grew Big Jim last year, but it was too hot for my partner to enjoy when used as the base of, for example, chile verde.

4 Jalapeño Zapotec, nearly rejected for again being too hot for my jalapeño-popper-loving partner, it found a place as my primary fresh spice pepper for pico de gallo and other fresh salsas. I’d find a place for it regardless, really; I find it a very compelling pepper.

4 Jalapeño TAM, this is the jalapeño to hate if you despise the near-heatless jalapeño products which took over the mass market: it was developed by Texas A&M University to be a commercial (but open pollinated) crowd pleaser. It should be exactly right for my partner’s poppers, and thus allows me to grow my Zapotecs!

4 Chiltepin O’odham (pronounced something like “OH ohdahm”, the apostrophe representing a glottal stop; they’re fascinating), a really tempting chiltepin collected from a sacred mountain. I struggled to choose a chiltepin for the year, especially because my dried Chiltepin Hermosillo Dwarf from last year have been amazing… but I do want to see if the berries of a non-dwarf might be a bit bigger, and I’m a sucker for a good origin story.

4 Stavros, an apparently choice Greek pickling pepper of the general type known in the US as “golden Greek pepperoncini”. “Pepperoncini” terminology is an absolute minefield, which is a shame since so many of us developed an addiction to them in childhood (thank you for that if nothing else, Papa John’s). This seems to be the only specifically named cultivar widely available, so it was an easy choice.

Capsicum chinense​

4 Orange Habanero (SLP) and
4 Orange Habanero (CPI), let one of these be the harpoon which slays at last this white whale, please god! This will be the third year I attempt to accomplish the original goal of this now-major hobby, which was to replace my no-longer-locally-available favorite sauce (El Yucateco XXXtra Hot Kutbil-ik) with homemade. The first year, I began too late and only whetted my appetite; last year, I put all eggs in the Habanero Oxkutzcab basket, which was too fruity for purpose. I’ve realized I need a bog standard habanero for the sauce I crave. Hopefully one of these will do.

4 Habanada (also using seeds collected from @HellfireFarm), which will allow me to make a medium-heat, taste-alike version of my signature sauce for more sensitive friends and family. This technique, of substituting some of the spicy variety with a heatless version to make a mild sauce, works so well that the smell, texture, and damn near the flavor are almost identical to the real deal. I hope to slowly create more heatless varieties of sauce peppers to allow this for each sauce I make. Someday.

4 Bahamian Goat, which saved my bacon when Habanero Oxkutzcab proved unsuited. It’s bulletproof and super productive with no downsides. It would almost be hubris not to grow: oh, you think you’re so good you don’t need the Goat at your back? It’s a good luck pepper.

4 Hot Paper Lantern, which I failed to see through last year. These have an almost universally excellent reputation, and in general sound like another pepper with all pros and no cons. I tend to like those! In addition, Johnny’s offers a yet more lauded version which was apparently the pride and joy of one of their breeders, Janika Eckert. I expect great things!

2 7 Pot Jonah, which I fully expect to regret growing. The capsaicinoids all over everything around processing time was a bit annoying last year. This year, I know to dedicate a separate cutting board and generally be more aware of the invisible menace which accumulated capsaicinoids become. Even so, I expect processing a superhot into sauce to be an ordeal. But I do want that sauce. I want a sauce in my repertoire which can make me think twice. Plus, I already thought of a good name.

2 Ají Charapita, which I grew from RFC seeds last year. I wasn’t sure if I would grow it again, but it’s lovely and compact, and looks amazing filled with glowing berries. We made a present of the single harvest of the single plant we grew, packed in vinegar, and it was both surprisingly beautiful and tasty. This seedline from Peter Merle was collected by him from a wild (or, I would suspect, naturalized) context along the Amazon, near Iquitos where the variety is common. I don’t expect it to be appreciably different to RFC’s, but the extra provenance is cool!

2 Redfire, also known as CAP 691. An enigmatic wild (or naturalized) red chinense which @Pr0digal_son described temptingly here. I’m hoping this has deciduous pods…

Capsicum baccatum​

4 CAP 455, which was the most productive pepper I grew last year, as well as the tastiest heatless red. The large jar of refrigerator pickles leftover has seen heavy use in chickpea salad sandwiches. I intend to devote a future season to more widely exploring baccatum, but this one is essential.

Capsicum frutescens​

4 Tabasco, which sure, yawn, but that unique flavor is still my absolute, must-have favorite on breakfast eggs. I’ll be surprised if I can make an acceptable substitute, but taking a shot at it will be my first fermented sauce project.

It’s a smaller grow than last year, in order to allow room for a burgeoning interest in herbs and a tentative branching out into other veg. As long as my choices work for purpose, it should all be more than enough!

Last edited:
BREAKING NEWS

1675893165075.jpeg

😂

That emoji at the end perfectly describes the feeling one may have after almost giving up on seeds and then suddenly be pleasantly surprised by germination! Great feeling!

Those helmets do look like they are stuck tightly though.... :seeya:

2 years ago not a single pepper seed had germinated after ten days which was quite strange. I decided to take a temperature reading on my heat mat (the same I was using the years before and without any problem) only to find out that it was overheating, thus cooking my seeds :(

I took a step back and tried to think of a way to manage my temperature more accurately and here's what I thought of. From now on, I always rig my heat mat to a temperature controller (Inkbird ITC-308) and to ensure that the pellets are really at the set temperature, I drilled a hole in the side of my dome, ran the probe through it, and buried it in an empty pellet like in the pictures below.

Maybe your temperature is already under control, but if not, this cheap hack could be real a game-changer and If something goes wrong, the Inkbird alarm will go off.

1675899246685.png

That emoji at the end perfectly describes the feeling one may have after almost giving up on seeds and then suddenly be pleasantly surprised by germination! Great feeling!

Those helmets do look like they are stuck tightly though.... :seeya:
Nice to see some life here!!

Carefully tear off some rockwool and run it over the sprouts. The extra friction should help them get rid of their helmet as they raise to the surface.

No change since the last photo. Losing hope for this year.

I still feel like maybe they’re too wet, but the whole point of rockwool is that it regulates its moisture level… right? And the seeds that I left on the surface of some cubes shouldn’t be drowning, if any are.

I really don’t want to start more seeds in ignorance of what’s wrong; it’s not rational to keep trying and expect a different result. So I’m stuck.

I’m going to keep running with the theory that they’re too wet. It doesn’t entirely add up, but nothing else does either.

Unfortunately, the season is already over for my primary goal:

4 Orange Habanero (SLP) and
4 Orange Habanero (CPI), let one of these be the harpoon which slays at last this white whale, please god! This will be the third year I attempt to accomplish the original goal of this now-major hobby, which was to replace my no-longer-locally-available favorite sauce (El Yucateco XXXtra Hot Kutbil-ik) with homemade. The first year, I began too late and only whetted my appetite; last year, I put all eggs in the Habanero Oxkutzcab basket, which was too fruity for purpose. I’ve realized I need a bog standard habanero for the sauce I crave. Hopefully one of these will do.

I had multiple packets of each to ensure I wouldn’t be in this position. I sowed just under 80 seeds of them between the two trays. Oh well!

I’ll update later today with whatever I choose for chinense tray 3. And I guess I’d better get the others sown too… they ain’t gonna kill themselves.

The temperature has been within the optimal range the whole time, although I raised the second tray slightly in response to feedback here. I check the inside of the cubes with a Thermapen instant-read thermometer every few days, but they’re very stable.

Right now: 80 F exactly. Sounds about right?

The past week, I’ve unplugged the heat pad at night to simulate the day-night cycle, so they get down to about 70 F at night.

The previous tray, before raising, kept at about 88 F, which I would have thought was fine.

Last edited:
Temps sound good. Maybe try soaking seeds first if you’re not doing so.

I’ve never heard of seeds being to wet to germinate. I’ve never tried it with peppers but some seeds germinate in straight water.

I have peppers germinating right now without the use of a heat mat at all.

Just some stuff to think about. Don’t give it up you’ll figure it out.

Last edited:
The first tray got my usual 1:10 ratio of 3% H2O2 to water for 12 hours, as recommended by this study. The second tray used no soak, to aid in troubleshooting.

The frustration is that I actually understand the biological process fairly well… and the lack of plausible explanation is really bizarre. I’m sure I’m overlooking something…

Last edited:
How are you prepping the cubes, TB? I don't germinate in rockwool that often, but when I do then after the pH soak I carefully shake out the excess water from the cubes before incubating them. After that they don't get water for a while. Could the cubes have been saturated?

To prep the cubes, I water them with the same 1:10 solution of 3% H2O2 to water as I soak seeds in… until the water runs through. From there…

The cubes in the first tray went in without draining, so they basically stood in water for the first day. From the second day on, they were fully saturated (quite heavy) but not dripping. After total failure, too much moisture seemed like a slam dunk of a conclusion.

So, the “second tray” was sown over top the first. I still had enough seeds to duplicate the planting, and the cubes felt like they had lost enough water. Between that and lowering the tray temperature, I figured that was enough. Oops.

I just finished sowing the third tray. A properly different tray this time with new cubes (but from the same lot; can’t afford to replace everything). This time, I let the cubes drain on a rack and made sure they weren’t dripping at all before adding them to the tray.

I’ve not entirely given up on the first/second tray yet… for now, it’s to the side with its dome off to dry out yet more. My reckoning of the statistics involved with so many seeds… something just isn’t adding up!

And here’s what got sown — the whole season in one tray!

6 Bahamian Goat
6 Habanada
6 Jamaican Hot Chocolate
4 Hot Paper Lantern
4 7 Pot Jonah
4 Redfire (CAP 691)

6 Gogoşar Anileve73
6 Quadrato d’Asti Giallo
6 NuMex Heritage 6-4
6 Jalapeño Zapotec
6 Jalapeño Farmers Market
4 Chiltepin O’odham

4 CAP 455

4 Tabasco

If they sprout, it could still be a great year.

As I was writing that out, that suddenly occurred to me. My assumption has been that the H2O2 degrades into water quickly enough for it to not matter. Looking for hard evidence of that, I’m not seeing anything very certain at a quick glance. I thought that assumption was based on a retained fact, but maybe not…

That said, the quick glance turned up lots of places suggesting that the half-used bottle of H2O2 from about a year ago that I used was already inactive. I do think internet advice about shelf lives is based manufacturer advice and thus often exaggerated, so I could reason it either way. Hm.

The other thing is that I did the same thing last year, when I used Jiffy pellets. But, then again maybe the process of rehydration or the medium being organic caused the H2O2 to degrade more quickly than it does in rockwool.

I think it’s a good enough theory to put up there with the waterlogging one. Unfortunately, if that’s the issue then this new tray is in trouble!

With the annuums and baccatum in there, I should know of something’s off in about a week. Last year, a good number popped at 3-5 days.

This chart suggest using a solution that is way more diluted.

That’s true, but they don’t say why. Without a citation, I take internet advice with a grain of salt. I based my 1:10 dilution on this study, which was the best objective source I could find for the hearsay. My dilution is a little stronger than theirs, but their study concluded that much stronger solutions weren’t actually harmful — they just weren’t beneficial.

When I've used cubes before I pH adjust them, but I don't think that's the problem. I also don't think the residual H2O2 is a problem, though I'd probably avoid it just because.

The method I've used to clear the excess water is to hold the cube in a loose hand/fist (being careful not to squeeze it, which ruins the internal structure that properly maintains the water-to-air mix) and give it a few reasonably sharp shakes to throw out the extra water. My best guess is you've had too much water - I mean, what else could it be? - though still I'm surprised that nothing has popped.

Back