breeding Thoughts on my F1 cross?

Native Chiltepin / Reaper F1 cross.  I have many plants going from the seeds and about 50% are normal sized Chiltepin leaves with pods that look like mother plant being spherical and 1/4" around, slightly elongated from mother plant and much hotter than mother plant.  The other F1's have much larger leaves and starting to fruit as pictured below.  Pods begin hanging and then turn upright and much larger.  1/2" x 1 1/4".  Very plentiful as a normal Chiltepin.  Looks like about 2 weeks for first one to ripen, maybe less with this heat.

Is this normal from the same mother crossed with the same pollen? 

z2TETsA.jpg

Entire plant is about 22" tall.

S5hmmhz.jpg

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Did the cross actually work? Looks normal to me

Normal native Chiltepin here are small leaves and almost perfectly spherical 1/4" around pods.  Neither of the two types now fruiting are same so some crossing happened.

robbyjoe01 said:
That ain't no bird (looks like the start of a jalapeño)....

Good way to describe it but never seen one turn vertical and no way the mother plant "made it" with one.

I hear ya....I've seen the damnest come from the crosses(point up,down, big, and little). Crosses are like a box of chocolates......

Is it possible your 'mother' plants were themselves accidental crosses from previous seasons? That might lead to funky genetics.

Back