• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Three Sister's Garden

I was wondering if anyone was trying a three sister's garden this year or had any success with one in 2015?  I only managed one successful one to date and was hoping someone with some more experience could lend some advice.

I planted two last year and neither made it...  I am debating trying on in 2016...

For those that don't know what it is I will try to give a very abbreviated version.

Three Sister's Garden
Is a garden made up of three different plants originally performed by the Native Americans who dubbed them the three sisters.
1. Corn
2. Beans (pole beans - as they need to climb)
3. Squash/Pumpkin

The gardens are set up as small mounds and the corn is planted in two rows in the center (about 4 or 6 plants) of the mound.  Once the corn has sprouted and started to grow,  you plant the beans (about 4 or 6 plants) in a circle around the corn that was planted.  While you planting the beans around the corn you also plant the squash/pumpkins (2 total) on each end of the mound. 
the idea is that as the corn grows the beans use the stalk to continue growing.  The squash/pumpkins broad leaves shade the soil and help to retain moisture, as well as deter critters from eating the stalks of corn.

snottyfox said:
I was wondering if anyone was trying a three sister's garden this year or had any success with one in 2015?  I only managed one successful one to date and was hoping someone with some more experience could lend some advice.

I planted two last year and neither made it...  I am debating trying on in 2016...

For those that don't know what it is I will try to give a very abbreviated version.

Three Sister's Garden
Is a garden made up of three different plants originally performed by the Native Americans who dubbed them the three sisters.
1. Corn
2. Beans (pole beans - as they need to climb)
3. Squash/Pumpkin

The gardens are set up as small mounds and the corn is planted in two rows in the center (about 4 or 6 plants) of the mound.  Once the corn has sprouted and started to grow,  you plant the beans (about 4 or 6 plants) in a circle around the corn that was planted.  While you planting the beans around the corn you also plant the squash/pumpkins (2 total) on each end of the mound. 
the idea is that as the corn grows the beans use the stalk to continue growing.  The squash/pumpkins broad leaves shade the soil and help to retain moisture, as well as deter critters from eating the stalks of corn.

I have in the past with good luck.When you grow the pumpkins their prickly leaves keep the raccoons out so you still have corn to harvest. Also the beans put nitrogen back into the soil. I plan on doing this in the 2016 season. Here is a link to the layout that I used for planting. http://www.reneesgarden.com/articles/3sisters.html

Back