• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Three to ID

I put the largest ones in a mason jar and I'll be damn. They smell exactly like peaches.Decent heat(150,000?) The flavor is fantastic. Meaty , fruity and, after pickling, I plan on draining well and having ginger and carambola reduction added.
The tiny red one is pretty hot (maybe 80-100,000)Never seen a pepper these small.
The middle one has too much seed to figure out. I need to smash them through a press.
These were growing along the San Juan river on the Costa Rican side of the Nicaraguan border.
SCORE ! ;)

Attachments

• Dunnopeppers.JPG
    Dunnopeppers.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 67
Peaches?That one sounds pretty interesting.The tiny one looks very similar to the wild petins , I have one passed from a friend who plucked it off a roadside in Guatemala. It looks and tastes exactly like one i picked up in El Paso.They were pretty touchy the first season, then decided they liked it in Louisiana. No seeds would germinate the first 2 seasons, but last check had little sprouts coming up all over the pots.The pods are almost to tiny to mess with, but they are pretty tasty, with sharp heat that drops off fairly quickly.The leaves are tiny as well.Not much help right?

Reminds me of when I was in CR and had a hookworm under the skin on my arm. Itched like crazy. Locals told me I had to throw a lime in the fire and use it to sear the skin on top of the worm, but I picked a wild pepper off a bush and rubbed in the juice. Next morning the itch was gone and the welt and burrow quickly healed up. Could have been one of those, I guess...

Well, what do the locals call them? My friends from Honduras and Guatemala call all small wilds "chiltepe", but Costa Rica isn't Honduras or Guatemala...
The Ticos call everything green without flowers a tabacon.All non Cattleya orchids are face_of_something,tail of something ear of something the others are named by size, color or smell. A large red colored pepper is chili picante, these little ones are gatos de diablos ( devil drops).All Scotch Bonnet-Hab type are " Panama". :rolleyes: I just wanna slap the dumb asses.
I'm guessing the miniature is a tepin as the others call it.I'm chomping at the bit waiting for the "peach diablos" to pickle up. Sunday should be process day. The smell of them pickling is incredible.The medium rounds I pressed into my 'tater soup tonight. Decent flavor,nothing very impressive.Won't be planting those.

Then there is your answer "gatos de diablos". whether you like that name or not.

If I lived in Peru, and decided that I don't like that the locals call those big orange peppers "aji amarillo", because they are ORANGE not YELLOW, does that give me the right to give it a new name like Aji Orange? Because I must be more "worldly" than them, right?

Just trying to make a point, not step on any toes, or offend anyone.

Back