Tilapia food.

In a conversation about animal poop, Hot Pepper replied: "Tilapia food".  I am curious to know if folk have had any aquaponic success with the idea.  I have only ever read one person's set up.  He had rabbit and chicken in cages above the fish resevoir.  That water then circulated to his aquaponics.  The fish ate the poop, the fish poop and some of the critter poop then fed the plants.  Finally, some fo the plants were used to feed the critters.

I wonder if there would not need to be a section between the fish tank and the plants so that solid material would be taken out.  Seems like chicken and rabbit poop would turn the medium into something more like soil.

But it does seem like a great way of not having to clean chicken and rabbit coups out.

Thoughts?

Texas Blues - Although I understand farming catfish is often a side product of hog waste, I can certianly see why someone would not want to eat fish who were raised on poop.  Lots of folk will not eat catfish or carp because they are bottom feeders.  But why would you be concerned about the chicken / rabbit meat?  Because their poop fertilizes the plants they eat?

Please consider this, grass fed beef walks around eating and pooping.  The poop feeds the grass that they eat.  How would feeding that poop to fish and using the fish poop to feed the plants be different?  People been using poop to feed plants for thousands of years.  Now to really put you off.  Free range chicken eat bugs.  So if you have a steak and egg breakfast, you are eating recycled poop and bugs.  Mmmmm....

I wish I had a picture of me pulling the shit wagon I used to operate.  Imagine this as a job.  You load a bunch of horse and cow shit onto a waggon, then you pull the wagon around a field with a tractor.  Gradually, the poop feeds to the back where rake looking fingers are spinning.  They grab the poop and sling it up and out, over the field, delivering it fairly evenly.

Wasn't thinking, left the pto on when I drove up to my truck once.  Windows were open.  Drove home in a poop mobile.  Wife made me stip and shower in the garden hose.

Back