• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Time between "Action" and "Reaction"

Hi all,

It's probably the most stupid question ever I'm about to ask : what is the average delay between "action" & "reaction" ?

What I mean by that is that if I add some fert for instance, how long will it take to see the effects ? I guess the answer is "It depends", but like an average ?

I ask this because now my peppers are getting better (new leaves are okay), but I've done something wrong in the past (previous set of leaves are ugly) and I would like to know when to know why. (sorry I can't make a simple sentence which makes sense in English ... but I hope you do understand me).

I guess a good test would be to add ink into water (like for roses) to know that, but I don't know how peppers would react.

It does depend like you say.

Over-watering can take a day or two or up to a week for the plant to react to the excess water.

Nute-burn can be anywhere from a day to a week depending on the concentration of the nutrients.

It seems like the average for both is 3-4 days in my experience, but others might have slightly different results. I only use organic ferts in very small doses so I have never burned anything too badly. I have definitely over-watered though :)

Reactions: PHB
It does depend like you say.

Over-watering can take a day or two or up to a week for the plant to react to the excess water.

Nute-burn can be anywhere from a day to a week depending on the concentration of the nutrients.

It seems like the average for both is 3-4 days in my experience, but others might have slightly different results. I only use organic ferts in very small doses so I have never burned anything too badly. I have definitely over-watered though :)
Thanks for the answer poypoyking. In fact I log everything I do to my peppers (light, watering, fert, etc.). I do it because I'm a brand new pepper grower and I want to be able to backtrace my mistakes to avoid doing it again in the future. So what you say, is that if I see some new leaves which are "ugly", the causes has to be found in something I've done between 3 days and a week ago ? (not talking about external factor like pest, etc. just human failure).

So knowing that my "ugly" leaves are the 4th pairs, which appears at D29 it must be something I've done around D22 something. I didn't fert since D13, so I guess it's due to overwatering.

More than likely I would say you are correct. Depending on what you used for growing medium it can make it difficult to diagnose. For instance take Miracle Grow potting mix. It has time release nutrients in there that can burn your plants just with a simple watering.

If it is the human factor it is usually too much love of some sort, whether water or nutrients. Keep in mind pathogens, fungus, lighting, and pests can all play a role too.

Reactions: PHB
Fortunately (or unfortunately) I grow indoor (less risk) and in Paris, which means I've never see any kind of living form except rats, pigeons and humans (seriously I've never seen any spider, bug, mosquito or anything like this. This city is so crap ...).

I always boil my pots before poting, so if there is something to find it's, as you say, it's in the soil, or in the plant genes or in human mistakes.

That's is something which sound very "wrong" when you think about it. But at least eliminating some factors makes things simpler, so it helps to understand things.

Back