• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Time To Pick

Well its going to break my heart as these two guys have been my pride and joy all summer. I planted them in April and about 80% have turned red. I need some suggestions how to finish. When I take the peppers should I pull the plant and hang them to dry still on the plant or pick them off the plant or does it really matter. Im still trying to decide how I'll use them. I have chopped a few with some fresh picked tomatoes and cilantro and oniion and made some salsa, it was so good. I suppose I can dry some and make powder. They are sooooo hot. Just little beauties so I want to really do them justice. HELP
90410peppers006.jpg

TabascoandCyanneinWhiteVinegar001.jpg

RipeTabasco006.jpg

Melonsandpepperespic008.jpg

Will the seeds I save from the red ones germinate? Would it be better to let them fall from the plant? This last picture was taken in July and the first pic was taken today. Most of the garden has finished. The plants looks like it may have a couple hundred peppers on them Thanks Tom

TnTom, just pick some of the better looking red pods from the plant and cut them open, take the seeds out and dry them on a paper plate. Yes they will germinate. Nice looking plants!

Charles

Good advice from cjbrewer5.

Surprising just how hot the little turds are isn't it? Specially if your only experience with them is the sauce. Much hotter in the flesh. I'm still trying to remember why I didn't grow any this year.

You might want to make a mash out of some of them too. Not sure what the exact procedure is but AlabamaJack has a great recipe.

Good luck with them.

Cappy sent me a bag of his dried tabasco and it has become a sort of requirement for my coconut curry chicken. To the point I'm not using it for anything but that because it is so amazingly tasty. I've tried using habanero powder as a substitute but there something different in the taste of the dried tabasco.

So yeah, I say dry them. If i were doing that, though, I'd be picking the red ones, all the red ones, and drying those individually before grinding.
Something tells me that if you do that tomorrow, you might get a second round in before frost sets in in TN (assuming you have something like a november frost date).

Pick em as they ripen and mix a few green and yellow with them for a colorful jars of pickled peppers and salsa.

You have plenty of time for another flush this season, so get busy pickin' and leave the plant in the ground. ;)

You can always use the canned pickled peppers or purees later in a hot sauce recipe. :)

exactly what SS and charles said pick the ripe and there is still time in the season for the rest to follow

Back