Time warp

kodiakbear

Banned
So, I like to eat super-hots whole. I haven't done a Reaper yet, but I do enjoy Morugas. I have found, however, that, when doing a challenge (either Barrus or Baphomet rules), my sense of time gets screwed up. For instance, Barrus' 30s/5m rule feels much shorter than a regular 5m or 5m30s (depending on interpretation). Baphomet rule (1m/no relief until the burn goes away naturally) is the same.

Has anyone else noticed this? I think the burn overrides the brain's perception of time.

MisterBigglesworth said:
Let's do the Time Warp again!
Does it happen to you? I ate a chocolate scorp today and it completely warped my sense of time, pain, appetite and emotion. Tingly.

From Wikipedia:

It is common for people to experience pleasurable and even euphoriant effects from ingesting capsaicin. Folklore among self-described "chiliheads" attributes this to pain-stimulated release of endorphins, a different mechanism from the local receptor overload that makes capsaicin effective as a topical analgesic. In support of this theory, there is some evidence that the effect can be blocked by naloxone and other compounds that compete for receptor sites with endorphins and opiates

And for endorphins:
Endorphins ("endogenous morphine") are endogenous opioid inhibitory neuropeptides.

Basically the same thing as a "runner's high". There might not be any self-described chileheads if it weren't for endorphins. 

I know about the endorphin rush. I got it the first time I tried extremely hot sauce. The raw peppers, while possibly inducing abnormal endorphin release, give me, at most, a very brief enjoyable feeling. The overwhelming effect, however, is loss of internal clock when doing a challenge ( regardless of Barrus/Baphomet rules).

Has anybody specifically lost their sense of time while burning from pepper eating?

MisterBigglesworth said:
Sadly, I have not yet experienced this effect. I don't eat supers but have done 2M SHU. sauce.

I like super-hot sauce, but I don't think SHU is the only factor. Sorry to go back to peppers, though this may also apply to sauce, I can't do ghosts but I love Morugas. There's got to be more to all of this than SHU. Some of that shit is psychoactive.

Is there Psycoactives in superhots or is just the endorphins firing???  Enquiring minds want to know.

Not psychoactive in the illegal sense. I think the neurons firing like nuts and the endorphins can add up to a very temporary psychoactive response. For instance, after eating my first Moruga (challenge / Barrus rules), I had a moment where I was looking around and, while I could still see, nothing I was looking at (I was in warehouse) had any meaning, memory or significance. This effect kicked out within a minute, but still, it was very noticeable.

Back