• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Tips and Tricks for Pepper Pros

Once you start growing peppers, it doesn't take too long before you learn the tricks of the trade. How about a thread where you can pass along your top tips to help out newcomers to the hobby? I'll give a couple of my favorites.

Witches Brew

I give Smokemaster Mike Laren credit for this tip. Pour white vinegar over dolomitic lime to produce a solution that is rich in Calcium and Magnesium. It promotes flowering and fruiting, and is especially good for chinenses according to Mike. Search the forum for more details.

Grapefruit Spoon

The serrated edges of a grapefruit spoon make the spoon a useful tool for deseeding peppers.

Post your favorite tricks and we can all learn something.

Witches Brew

Put about a cup of dolomitic lime in a large plastic jug. Pour a couple of cups of white vinegar over it. Shake vigorously. Carbon Dioxide gas will be released, so don't put the cap on and prevent the gas from escaping. I shake it up periodically over a day or two. Let the solution settle then dilute the liquid, a couple of tablespoons to the gallon. Use that to water your plants.

If your pepper plants don't look as good as you think they should (or as other peoples), they may need food!  I had skinny, small plants and I didn't know why they looked so pathetic.  So, I went to the garden store and bought a soil test kit and found I was very low on nitrogen and Potassium.  I had Miracle Grow already, so I added some and boom, it made a big difference.  I use several other things also now, but I'm still learning what's best.  

Before (Aug. 3rd) and after (Aug. 20):

Before...

After...

Back