• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Tips for Hot Weather Gardening

I'm not new to hot weather gardening, having lived in the southern US for the last 20 years. However, I would like your advice on getting peppers through the summer heat. I've usually just mulched with straw and watered more often.

Now, I'm getting ready to mulch and this is the first year I'm using the black plastic film. I'm concerned it might bake some plants and plan to add some straw around the base of each pepper to limit the impact. I'll give each plant plenty of open space by cutting plastic as needed.

What other techniques do you suggest?

Thanks, MB

I picked up a piece of shade cloth from a friend, case it gets too much. I never really had a problem, mulch and water has done it for me. It is brutal here during the summer. and it just about here... :beer:

Our summers are usually high 80's to mid 90's and the past few years VERY little rain. We have been using black plastic mulch for years with no issues.
We cut a hole, plant the plant, then put dirt over the space left by cutting the hole. We water about every 3 days or so.

What you will have to probably do is poke small holes through the plastic in order to let rain and water get through. As water develops on top from rain or hose, you will find the low spots. Just stick your finger through the plastic at those spots and you will be good. Nice thing about the plastic is that it keeps the roots warm and keeps the soil very moist.

Other than that..nothing really to do.

I've always had success with straw and grass clipping mulch and morning waterings. I've recently added a 75 gallon rainbarrel to the equation. I think efficient watering schedules and whatever mulch that works for you is the key.

Always nice to have more advice.

I also sprung for one of these:

1001087_ORB58308D_A_400.jpg

Orbit Telescoping Tripod Sprinkler

Combined with a timer I should save dozens if not hundreds of hours of watering and weeding 95 plants.

Back