• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

video Tips for video noob please

Hi all. I'm going to be taking my 1st proper video of myself eating a pepper tonight, thanks to an offer from thegreenman for me to receive some brown 7 pots in exchange for a video, and was wondering if anyone had some tips for a first timer. I'm 99% positive it's going to be far above my tolerance level, as I've only eaten 2 whole superhots before this. Any hints and tips would be appreciated.

Ya sure,
Try to be as calm as you can while talking and describing the pepper. Make sure you eat a full meal 45 minutes before eating the pepper and I like peanut butter and honey sandwich, it helps the stomach. Have kleenex nearby and its recommended to use gloves if you cut the pod open. Good luck. Looking forward to your review!

megahot said:
Ya sure,
Try to be as calm as you can while talking and describing the pepper. Make sure you eat a full meal 45 minutes before eating the pepper and I like peanut butter and honey sandwich, it helps the stomach. Have kleenex nearby and its recommended to use gloves if you cut the pod open. Good luck. Looking forward to your review!
Thanks megahot! Just finished dinner, so the full meal is taken care of. Will try to stay calm, unsure of what to expect from a brown 7 though. Probably made a mistake of looking for rough heat level guides for it beforehand and have seen everything from 8-900k up to 1.8 million. Honestly hoping it's closer to the former! Not sure if what I'll have will be a review, or just a video of me eating a pepper then burning and cursing for 15-20 minutes. I'm terrible at describing flavours at the best of times.

Haha! Im not gonna lie the 7 Brown is as hot as blazes! ( I hope I didnt scare you away)
Cursing is something I try to avoid but havent always been successful Lmao.
Im sure you will do fine. The main thing is trying to relax so you can talk. On the scorchers it isnt so easy LOL

Dude just go for it.  Try your best to chill and realize that it will end in a few minutes and nothing you do will take the misery away except for time.  That panic you feel is just your oh shit meter going off....it quickly passes and just stick it out.  It will be worth it afterwards and you will probably be super happy for getting through it and maybe feel like you are on cloud 9.  If you ate a solid meal, I usually go for some milk and a banana with peanut butter a few mins before filming, but different things work for different people.

Just stick to the easy words and dont try and have this prolific speech.  Its hot, it is burning my (insert location), why did I do this, it tastes like grass/acid/citrus/fruit, god help me...all acceptable.

Thanks for the help guys! You didn't scare me off megahot. I see it as worst that can happen-I can't handle it, burn like crazy, body rejects it and it comes back up. Only 1 way to find out lol. 1 more quick question though. What effect does alcohol play in perception of heat/flavours, and effects on the stomach? I've got tomorrow off, then have an 8 day stretch at work so have had a few scotches this afternoon (started before the mailman came so didn't know I had the peppers today). Would it be wise to still do it tonight, or would I be better off waiting til the morning? 

SCOTCH SCOTCH SCOTCH!

For me, alcohol makes it a bit easier for me to take it.  I have never done a review "drunk", but have done over a dozen with at least 2 or 3 beers in me.  One or 2 with a few more, but it has never made it dull to describe the flavor or heat.  It definitely gets me to the review table a bit faster though!

It will probably ruin your tastebuds for the remainder of the evening though....so if you are drinkin single malts I'd get one more in and then switch to beer afterwards.  I have wasted a few good glasses forgetting that everything is a bit sweeter for me after a super.

And...thanks....gonna go pour me a Balvinie 12 yr double wood.  Was gonna stick to water tonight...but you changed that!

Oh, and I would not go with morning unless you have a big breakfast.  I almost always get stomach cramps from early day pods, and it is hit or miss for evening pods....and come to think of it....less so when I am boozin.

Good Q! To play it safe wait till morning. Your stomach should be able to take the pod pretty well considering the fact that you havent really consumed superhots.
I think if its been 5-6 hrs since your few drinks it will probably be ok. The question is on you. Play it safe = wait till tomorrow
Gamble=eat it tonight
:think:

Edit :I'd say go with Matts answer since hes experienced having a few in him before a review.
Ive had beer while sampling hot things as well as a sample of a few superhots and I was fine :)

MGOLD86 said:
SCOTCH SCOTCH SCOTCH!

For me, alcohol makes it a bit easier for me to take it.  I have never done a review "drunk", but have done over a dozen with at least 2 or 3 beers in me.  One or 2 with a few more, but it has never made it dull to describe the flavor or heat.  It definitely gets me to the review table a bit faster though!

It will probably ruin your tastebuds for the remainder of the evening though....so if you are drinkin single malts I'd get one more in and then switch to beer afterwards.  I have wasted a few good glasses forgetting that everything is a bit sweeter for me after a super.

And...thanks....gonna go pour me a Balvinie 12 yr double wood.  Was gonna stick to water tonight...but you changed that!

Oh, and I would not go with morning unless you have a big breakfast.  I almost always get stomach cramps from early day pods, and it is hit or miss for evening pods....and come to think of it....less so when I am boozin.
Definitely not good single malts tonight. Just regular Johnnie Walker red label. The better half doesn't like me spending too much money on good scotch too often lol. Never tried Balvinie. Might have to look for it now though. 
megahot said:
Good Q! To play it safe wait till morning. Your stomach should be able to take the pod pretty well considering the fact that you havent really consumed superhots.
I think if its been 5-6 hrs since your few drinks it will probably be ok. The question is on you. Play it safe = wait till tomorrow
Gamble=eat it tonight
:think:

Edit :I'd say go with Matts answer since hes experienced having a few in him before a review.
Ive had beer while sampling hot things as well as a sample of a few superhots and I was fine :)
Only been about 5 minutes since my last  :rofl:   The 2 supers I have eaten whole have been after drinking, but only after 1 or 2. Had a bit more than that tonight so might play it safe, have a nice big breakfast (got bacon, sausage and eggs in the fridge so gtg there), then do it about 30-45 minutes after that. And have a great big chocolate shake beside me when I do it!  :dance:

As Matt says, whatever it feels like, do not panic, it will end. Just go for the ride and know for a fact that it won`t last long.

If you start getting buzzing in the hands/feet etc, it`s just the endorphins. It could go up your arms and legs, to your face, ears etc. You may also get dizzy and feel really weird and out of it. Again, it`s the endorphins and it will end. Do Not Panic. 

Eating superhots on top of a few beers is fine, as long as you`ve eaten, which you have. It doesn`t make any to me difference if I drink beer/wine/cocktails beforehand. Don`t drink afterwards until you know how your stomach is going to react. Wait at least 30 minutes. 

Finally, if your stomach starts to cramp up, take 2 tablespoons of cooking oil asap. Repeat if necessary. 

Nigel said:
As Matt says, whatever it feels like, do not panic, it will end. Just go for the ride and know for a fact that it won`t last long.

If you start getting buzzing in the hands/feet etc, it`s just the endorphins. It could go up your arms and legs, to your face, ears etc. You may also get dizzy and feel really weird and out of it. Again, it`s the endorphins and it will end. Do Not Panic. 

Eating superhots on top of a few beers is fine, as long as you`ve eaten, which you have. It doesn`t make any to me difference if I drink beer/wine/cocktails beforehand. Don`t drink afterwards until you know how your stomach is going to react. Wait at least 30 minutes. 

Finally, if your stomach starts to cramp up, take 2 tablespoons of cooking oil asap. Repeat if necessary. 
Thanks Nigel. I experienced the endorphins on my 1st bhut. Had my hands shaking, and had my jaw clattering like I was extremely cold. It's actually thanks to having watched your reviews that I had an idea of what was happening and didn't panic then. Hoping to get the same thing this time. The buzz I got after that bhut was incredible! How much hotter than a bhut or Trinidad scorpion would you rate the brown 7? 

As much as twice as hot as a Bhut or regular Trinidad Scorpion. It`s a whole other animal altogether. Don`t be put off by that, though. You can do it!

lol.... Meat, if this one doesn't go well for you, I won't hold you to the video for my peppers. Just enjoy them at your leisure. But as far taking video of yourself goes, just remember... rule #1 is BE YOURSELF! As long as you're comfortable in your own skin, then don't worry about a thing. And yeah, I'm like you. I tend to cuss.... a lot! But I agree with others here saying try to avoid it, but I know it's not always possible, especially when your mouth is on fire. Don't try to put on a show for people, just be yourself. It's just you and the camera. If they don't like it, eff 'em and feed 'em fish heads, right?

That Nigel, he's a cool cat. No ego in his videos, just pepper love. Much respect.

Nigel said:
As much as twice as hot as a Bhut or regular Trinidad Scorpion. It`s a whole other animal altogether. Don`t be put off by that, though. You can do it!
Oh. Crap! Haha. Definitely having a big arse chocolate shake beside me for this one then! And will have to throw the tp in the freezer too. Not put off though. At least I have some sort of idea of what to expect now. Worst that can happen is it comes back up. 

Phil said:
lol.... Meat, if this one doesn't go well for you, I won't hold you to the video for my peppers. Just enjoy them at your leisure. But as far taking video of yourself goes, just remember... rule #1 is BE YOURSELF! As long as you're comfortable in your own skin, then don't worry about a thing. And yeah, I'm like you. I tend to cuss.... a lot! But I agree with others here saying try to avoid it, but I know it's not always possible, especially when your mouth is on fire. Don't try to put on a show for people, just be yourself. It's just you and the camera. If they don't like it, eff 'em and feed 'em fish heads, right?

That Nigel, he's a cool cat. No ego in his videos, just pepper love. Much respect.
Still doing the video for yours too Phil. No worries there. Good thing for me with both of these peppers is for thegreenman's, I have tomorrow off, and yours should be in either Friday or Saturday and I only work half a day Sunday, so not much to worry about for after effects at work. 
Agree on Nigel's videos too. Top notch!

AaronRiot said:
We need a link!

Edit:  We (will) need a link!
thegreenman has a thread started for the videos in the reviews and discussion section. Videos uploading to my photobucket now, for some reason youtube was being difficult and wouldn't upload it. Should have my vid posted in a couple of minutes.

Back