marketing Tips of festival booth set-up

I'm doing the California Hot Sauce Expo this year, and I figured I'd ask ya'll if you have any tips on setting up a nice looking booth.

It won't be my first time doing this sort of thing (I've done some local things like Eat Real festival and some Berkeley Chamber events) but it'll be my first hot sauce oriented expo. I'll be selling about 5 sauces, shirts, a variety of powders, and doing taste tasting with ecotensils.

Any suggestions are appreciated (appearance, logistics, etc)!

HolyMoly!!!!  What happened to that post!!!!!!

:eek:  n

BRB---

Holy shitballs that was thorough! 
:D

Sampling: 
1. do what you do every day at Heat. Don't be afraid to hustle though and give everyone a description of what they're tasting. You are driving the demo - if you passively let people taste, they may skip otherwise delicious products. If you're bringing so many varieties that it's impossible to sample them all, engage the customer by inquiring about food preferences and suggest pairings. What good is hot sauce if it's not compatible with any food? And when the customer starts picturing the sauce on a certain food, they are more inclined to try it. 

2. Don't be "that guy" who loads up the customers with extract sauces and ruins their day. Be a good neighbor - bring goldfish crackers or candied almonds or something to help them cool off before they hit the next booth. That's what I do anyway. 
;)

Gonna be a good time! :woohoo: 

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
Holy shitballs that was thorough! 
:D

Sampling: 
1. do what you do every day at Heat. Don't be afraid to hustle though and give everyone a description of what they're tasting. You are driving the demo - if you passively let people taste, they may skip otherwise delicious products. If you're bringing so many varieties that it's impossible to sample them all, engage the customer by inquiring about food preferences and suggest pairings. What good is hot sauce if it's not compatible with any food? And when the customer starts picturing the sauce on a certain food, they are more inclined to try it. 

2. Don't be "that guy" who loads up the customers with extract sauces and ruins their day. Be a good neighbor - bring goldfish crackers or candied almonds or something to help them cool off before they hit the next booth. That's what I do anyway. 
;)

Gonna be a good time! :woohoo:

Wtf? I never got any goldfish or amons??? :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

The coolest idea I have ever seen for sampling is logo on table surface and then a plexiglass sheet over the table for easy clean ups.  Looks amazingly clean when you open and when you close, even after all the spills.

ajdrew said:
The coolest idea I have ever seen for sampling is logo on table surface and then a plexiglass sheet over the table for easy clean ups.  Looks amazingly clean when you open and when you close, even after all the spills.

And then you get to haul a sheet of plexiglass with you everywhere. 

I agree it's a good look - but plexi eventually gets all scratched up and looks like shit, and it's cumbersome. I can crumple up a table cloth and throw it in the wash at night - works great, and easy logistics. I set up 7 booths a week, and have limited space in my buggy. Carrying around a 3x6 sheet of plexi would be a pain in the ass. 

Each to their own. 

At some point I'll likely invest in some logo'd vinyl table cloths. That's the best looking set-up I've seen. Black with your logo on it on top and in front, and they wipe up. When you travel they roll up pretty compactly.  

Lucky Dog, I do not remember who it was that set up that way.  It was really cool looking.  Not just the logo on the table cover, but literature under it   There was also a level of depth to it that made it pop.  I think you participated in the thread.  Do you remember where it is?  The whole thing, put together, looked like they were selling artisan wine.

Hellraising Hot Sauce said:
For whatever reason, I can't view salsalady's response -- did it disappear?

She copy and pasted the same advice about 200 times (as I recall, stay hydrated, have 2 people if possible, post the same simple price list multiple places, try to enjoy yourself, etc), then edited out, presumably to save us all from carpel-tunnel from excessive scrolling.

ajdrew said:
Lucky Dog, I do not remember who it was that set up that way.  It was really cool looking.  Not just the logo on the table cover, but literature under it   There was also a level of depth to it that made it pop.  I think you participated in the thread.  Do you remember where it is?  The whole thing, put together, looked like they were selling artisan wine.
Pretty sure it was Sam & Oliver's.

You're viewing it aesthetically - I look at everything practically.

I think for the $ the vinyl table cloths with custom logos would be a better value, and logistically more convenient.
Salsalady's Internet might be jacked up - she's not copy/pasting, it's just loading multiple times when she posts.

WHat the HUH?????

I think Pookie's messing with me!  It wasn't like that before I went to town!

Back