Tired of Thai

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
I've eaten so much Thai food in my life I think I'm finally tired of it. Had this feeling the last time I had Thai too so it must be so!

I've eaten so much Thai food in my life I think I'm finally tired of it. Had this feeling the last time I had Thai too so it must be so!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I know exactly what you mean. After 3 years of 99.99% Thai food I finally told a friend I couldn't look another grain of rice in the eye. Since I've now sourced most of the western, Indian, Italian, Middle Eastern, and Mexican ingredients I need, I take occasional breaks with different cuisines of the world.
But now after 8 years of mostly Thai food (with breaks), I can't say I'm tired of it for good. There is such a huge variety of styles here that I'm ready to go again after short breaks.
Cheers.

Yeah, I need different styles and regional dishes.

Funny thing though, I never get tired of Indian food... or BBQ. Eat that all the time.

I've been there (tired of Thai) and back a few times. It's the strong flavors like horapha, grapow, and grachai that I need a break from most. I don't think I could ever get tired of good tom yum goong or moo ping.

I love my Thai food but I don't eat it all the time.. MYbe that's why I don't get tired of it.. I'd love to move to Thailand and run a tour boat company.. That would be awesome :)

I understand what you say Dan. Have you ever tried cooking real Indian dishes? By real, I mean regional dishes and not just Chicken Tikka or Butter chicken .

Indian cuisine is as varied as Italian to Thai. English to chinese etc.(I mean there is so much variation.

Dan. There are probably 50 different ways to make a chicken curry in India.

You must explore regional Indian dishes like Kozi curry, Chilli chicken (Andhra) etc.

NJA

Never tire of Thai. But I don't eat it every day. Always eat a full variety of Cajun, Creole, Thai, Indian, "American", tex-mex, Vietminese, Korean, Italian, French, and Mickey D's. :)

I've been there (tired of Thai) and back a few times. It's the strong flavors like horapha, grapow, and grachai that I need a break from most. I don't think I could ever get tired of good tom yum goong or moo ping.

Ooo, tom yum, got to agree with that. Gang som is another soup that I've never grown tired of. But what is moo ping? I know moo is pork, but ping? What is that? Cheers.

Ooo, tom yum, got to agree with that. Gang som is another soup that I've never grown tired of. But what is moo ping? I know moo is pork, but ping? What is that? Cheers.

Moo ping is simply grilled pork on a stick, a street food. A few skewers and some sticky rice is a great meal on the go. Anyone ever hear of gaeng fak (pumpkin curry)? Thai words are almost as great as the food. Boy am I getting hungry!

Had pumpkin curry last week. They use a Thai pumpkin, aka kabocha squash.

Had pumpkin curry last week. They use a Thai pumpkin, aka kabocha squash.
Can you recommend some good Thai in the city? I know some great places in NJ, but the only one that I really liked in NYC was Boyd Thai. Haven't been back in a while, but I always head for Thai food when I'm on the road.

No, I had Chicago dogs and pizza though. Can't remember what else really.

I remember that you mentioned Nookies. I hope you tried thin crust pizza and good hot dogs and not the lesser representatives of those cuisines.How did you think the pizza compared to New York pizza? Sorry, a little OT.

Moo ping is simply grilled pork on a stick, a street food. A few skewers and some sticky rice is a great meal on the go. Anyone ever hear of gaeng fak (pumpkin curry)? Thai words are almost as great as the food. Boy am I getting hungry!

You bet and it's gaeng fuk (yes it sounds just like the bad word). Moo ping is the same as moo yang (grilled pork). I had to ask the wife why I'd never heard of moo ping and she said around our area its moo yang. It can get very confusing at times. Cheers.

Oh, you'd like moo satay for sure; marinated, lean, grilled pork served with cucumber, shallots, and sliced prik kee nu in a vinegar/water/sugar pickling mix. Cheers.

Yeah, I need different styles and regional dishes.

Funny thing though, I never get tired of Indian food... or BBQ. Eat that all the time.

These are the two things I never tire of either. Indian food is simply the best thing out there for interesting and complex flavor in my opinion, and good BBQ is like an orgy for the tongue and sedative for the rest of the body.
Same thing with Mexican food. It never gets old for me, even though it really isn't anything special.

Every once and a while Thai will get old to me as well. The last time I ate it I had to choke it down. I figure in 3-4 months I'll be good to go with it again.

Back