To late or let them ride...

Been out of town and my wife pretty much just waters my plants when needed.
Been gather containers and getting some soil mixed up, well in the mean time my Jalapenos took off.
Did I wait to long or should I try to transfer all to new containers or just the smaller ones? Or leave be?
They are producing peppers left and right on all plants the way they are.
5419987b6ba017564fe06a2cb8ecb03c.jpg
f9111c9f125b24b889f73cb9d810ca18.jpg
9b51d107e870e8f206267b77298ece25.jpg

They look good to me.  I have a similar container and planted out 3 jalas last year and they did fine.  Don't know how many plants you have in that one though.

It was going to be four but ended up with 5.
Intentions where this was a temporary spot, but they took off like crazy.
Just didn't want that one to be a bully and block sun from others. But it's on wheels and can be s
Turned pretty easy for sin distribution.
SmokenFire said:
They look good to me.  I have a similar container and planted out 3 jalas last year and they did fine.  Don't know how many plants you have in that one though.

Too bad you haven't got a raised bed.  That would be a nice little bundle.
Maybe a nice new raised bed would be a good place to hide some redfish carcasses, yes? ;)

Boarider said:
Been out of town and my wife pretty much just waters my plants when needed.
Been gather containers and getting some soil mixed up, well in the mean time my Jalapenos took off.
Did I wait to long or should I try to transfer all to new containers or just the smaller ones? Or leave be?
They are producing peppers left and right on all plants the way they are.
5419987b6ba017564fe06a2cb8ecb03c.jpg
f9111c9f125b24b889f73cb9d810ca18.jpg
9b51d107e870e8f206267b77298ece25.jpg

I wouldn't hesitate to transplant the smaller ones if you wanted to. At the very least I'd remove the 5th (center plant). Especially at that age and maturity, peppers are far more resilient than people give them credit for. Transplant shock would be insignificant in terms of the benefits it would give to ALL the plants shown. Talking maybe a few days, a week tops before they are back on track. Just my opinion though.

NorCaliente916 said:

I wouldn't hesitate to transplant the smaller ones if you wanted to. At the very least I'd remove the 5th (center plant). Especially at that age and maturity, peppers are far more resilient than people give them credit for. Transplant shock would be insignificant in terms of the benefits it would give to ALL the plants shown. Talking maybe a few days, a week tops before they are back on track. Just my opinion though.
I agree, I transplanted some like that (5) that could barely stand and would fall anytime a little gust of wind came due to the sheer weight of all the pods on em in 4.5"nursery pots, and so far, nothing but positive effects after putting them in the ground and not one pod or flower drop!
It's been a week so far and no new growth but the pods keep on swelling and I know all the sweet stuff is going on underground!
And I tore them roots up on the bottom too to break em up. I think chili is extremely resilient and transplant shock is something of urban legend when it comes to these guys!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

And I tore them roots up on the bottom too to break em up

I did the same thing to 6 Fresnos i started just as a test because germination was so high. They all survived but one. It would have survived too if i just would have up potted it for another 2 weeks before hitting the dirt.

The only thing i can compare atm for flower drop are my Frenso and jalapenos. Both are doing great in pots and ground. Potted normally looks better early but later season the ground plants are larger. Atm my hard potted Fresnos look much better than 2 in the ground plot. I have 2 more in a raised bed that are starting to take off and are passing up the ground plants. They get way more shade where they are at.

Back