• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

To late to start?

Hey all,

This February I just started growing peppers from seeds.  I started off with some red Trinidadian habaneros.  Just got my first batch of peppers off the plants and they are already producing more fruit and what can I say i'm hooked.  

Now I'm regretting only planting the one variety so I went out and bought more seeds.  I went and got:

Carolina Reapers
7 Pot Chocolates
Chocolate Bhut Jolokias
7 Pot Yellows

I just put the seeds on paper towels and in ziplock bags today.   I'm here in Central Florida so it's pretty warm most of the year.  My question am I spinning my wheels by planting these?  I'm I going to have time enough time to get fruit from these?

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance!

Where you are at, you can EASILY have plants that go clean through the winter, and maybe slow down, at best.  Gotta watch out for hurricanes.  But if you have the skill to grow in tough conditions, the weather and growing season is the easy part.
I'm 50 minutes east of you, and I have some plants that have been growing for more than 3 years. (would have had some 5+, if it weren't for hurricanes)  My friend lives over near Winter Garden, and he has plants growing that I gave him see for more than 3 years ago.
Usually, I plant out 3 times per year.  Once in October, once in February, and again in June.
So no, it's not too late.

Thanks for the replies!  I'm glad to hear that people close to me have no problem growing throughout the year.  I'm just supper excited about my crops and wish I picked some hotter ones.  I like the sauces I'm making but once I add in any other ingredients to the mix the peppers just don't seem hot enough for my taste.  

I sometimes think that I want to move to Florida, just so I can grow year-round.

But then I remember all those summers I spent in St Pete as a kid, and the bugs I saw!

So, I sometimes wonder, are the weather advantages of growing in Florida offset by the pests and hurricanes?

Idea for a new thread: where is your dream location for chile propagation? I'll post it someplace else.... I'm somewhat sorry for hijacking the thread... But not really, bc the OP is going to be so busy planning his second grow of three for 2019..

I think you're right Bicycle808.  My seeds are waiting to germinate and I'm think about what other seeds I should get come September, or maybe August.... Why not July!  My wife is going to hate me for what I'm going to do to our yard!  

To answer your question about dream location to grow.... Trinidad.  My wife is from there and we visit her family and everything just grows so well there.  

I imagine Trinidad would be good for growing, plus i'm in awe of the chile history of the place!! If we're being honest, all modern SuperHots can trace their roots to Trinidad and Tobago. That's wild.

I've never been, so I can only imagine what it's like, but that's got to be a pepper "Mecca" of sorts.

I'm going with the Big Island (Hawaii) or somewhere in the far south of Portugal (Algarve) or Spain.  I love both regions.  Hawaii for the climate, the nature, the fertility.  Spain/Portugal for the drier climate, despite the proximity to the ocean, and great temps.
I live in a place now that has year round suitable temps for growing.  But maybe not the right mix of heat, humidity, and soil fertility.
I really miss being able to grow things in the Earth. :(

solid7 said:
Where you are at, you can EASILY have plants that go clean through the winter, and maybe slow down, at best.  Gotta watch out for hurricanes.  But if you have the skill to grow in tough conditions, the weather and growing season is the easy part.
I'm 50 minutes east of you, and I have some plants that have been growing for more than 3 years. (would have had some 5+, if it weren't for hurricanes)  My friend lives over near Winter Garden, and he has plants growing that I gave him see for more than 3 years ago.
Usually, I plant out 3 times per year.  Once in October, once in February, and again in June.
So no, it's not too late.
Orlando has more temperature extremes than Melbourne, because the ocean helps stabilize your temps a bit, they usually go below freezing every other year at least once and that's typically in January-February.

Doelman said:
Orlando has more temperature extremes than Melbourne, because the ocean helps stabilize your temps a bit, they usually go below freezing every other year at least once and that's typically in January-February.

Right.  But like I said, I have a friend in your area who is growing plants that I gave him as seeds 3 years ago.  They have literally been growing, in Orlando, outside, for 3 years, uninterrupted.  So I know what's possible.
Maybe you have to throw a cover over them once or twice.
Your "freezes" are not hard freezes, and don't typically last more than a couple hours, at most.  With a bit of attention beforehand, they are completely survivable.

The food in Trinidad is simply amazing! They put pepper sauce on everything. Each place you go to eat has their own homemade pepper sauce too. They mostly use Habaneros for the pepper sauce and cut up the scorpions and add them to their plate raw. Or they use the super hits for chow.

Back