• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

To pick or not to pick, that is the question!

I am sure this is asked often, but once again, I have some habs in 6inch wide 6inch deep pots. They are under shop lights and looking great. They are about 6-8 inches tall and starting to flower... do I pick off some or all of the blossoms?

Mark :)

I would take them all off or at least that is what I did. Other wise the plants natural instinct kicks in......REPRODUCE! So growing to the big tall productive plant is set aside for giving you a few little habs. Pick them.

You likely don't have enough light to support lot of pods so personally I'd pinch the flowers until they start to get good outdoor lighting

vlkno said:
I am sure this is asked often, but once again, I have some habs in 6inch wide 6inch deep pots. They are under shop lights and looking great. They are about 6-8 inches tall and starting to flower... do I pick off some or all of the blossoms?

Mark :)

I asked the same question recently and the consensus was to pinch them off. I might let one keep flowering starting in a few weeks to see if I can get any earlier pods this year.

Just be aware that early pods can set back your plant's growth quite severely. Its always a tough choice between having a few early peppers, or waiting and having more productive plants

Actually I'll save you a little bit of work. Let them flower, and if they actually produce a pod then pinch that off. With your habs being indoors it will probably drop most if not all it's flowers. So why make extra work for yourself when the plant will actually do this naturally for you. I do the same thing when they are moved outside, pinch pods until the plant is the right size.

So far this winter I've only had 1 hab form on all my plants all the rest dropped the flowers. Now my Thais, cayennes, chili de arbols they have been producing like crazy

Thanks for all the great replies. We will not have any little pods on my indoor peppers ....till I bring some inside in the Fall.

mark :)

Back