• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

To Pick or Not to Pick???

This year is the first year I have been growing in 5gal buckets and my plants are growing really well. I have Fatallis and Congos that seem to have full sized pods, but the peps are not ripe yet and haven't turned color. Should I let them hangout and pick them when they are ripe, or should I cull the herd?

I do wait untill they are ripe. Taste better that way.... And it gives the seeds some time to mature, so I can collect them for next season. my 2 cents....

Why wait? Just chop it at the soil line and call it a season!

But in all seriousness, why put in all the time in growing them just to pull them when they are not ripe, when you can wait a little longer to get the full flavor of the pepper?

It's not like there are only a few peppers on each plant. I am inundated with full sized peppers that wont turn, and the plants are refusing to let new buds stick. Im talking about picking with production in mind.

^ What does refusing to let new buds stick mean? It's not producing buds/blooms or they are withering or falling off?

If the latter I'd suspect high temperatures or a nutrient deficiency. Where is NWI, north west idaho?

I agree with the others, leave them on the plant with the one exception that if the branches are so heavy they are about to snap off and you refuse to stake and tie them for support. It's your call though, pick off one of the biggest and oldest and eat it... then decide if that's what you can accept, more less tasty peppers. On the other hand leaving peppers on mine to ripen doesn't appear to be slowing new pod rate much.

Back