• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shade To Shade Cloth or Not To Shade Cloth

I've been posting in my glog (http://thehotpepper.com/topic/73278-my-zone-6a-ct-1st-time-growing-from-seed/) this year as my first year starting from seed and growing. Been a wonderful year, tons of experience, and a whole lot of fun. Downside I've found that a seed source I used didn't turn out the way it should've/expected, but you live & learn.

I've been using a 40% shade cloth over the peppers all year, south side of garage, I'm zone 6a. It gets very hot and sunny on that side especially with it reflecting off garage. As you can tell they have grown crazy. They're not leggy, they have great stalks but at this point taller than stakes and taller than shade cloth. It's late in the year, temperatures dropping/sun dropping here and shorter days in zone 6a. 

Would removing the shade cloth now be a smart decision? Would it help boost production/pepper ripening? Originally I put up to help control too much light when they were hardened off in the freakish cold this past May here and it helped them grow past all the sunscald they got. Would it be safe to do at this point without concern to that? And/or would it be a fruitful to take the time to do this at this point?

Attached a few images of what I mean.

*edit*
I should add that area gets a significant amount of sun, indirect until about 10 in morning, then direct mostly from then until almost sundown at night.

Attachments

• 1586.jpg
    1586.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 1587.jpg
    1587.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 100
The factor to consider is the solar declination at a certain time in a particular locality. If I check these data for Wichita (KS), I see that the declination of the sun at noon today (28 Aug) will be 61.69°, and in a month time (28 Sep, some days after the equinox) it will be 49.94°. The higher the number for the declination, the more solar energy/area your patch will receive. The lower the number, the less energy/area will strike your patch.

Wikipedia: Declination of the Sun as seen from Earth

Suncalc: A very useful script to visualise the impact of the sun on your locality. Follow the link and you will arrive in someone's back-garden in Wichita (KS).

I never used shade cloth in EU, but the current solar declination in Kansas is comparable to the highest declination (solstice) I had in Europe, and my plants managed well (polytunnel, sun all day long).

When does your growing season end?

Usually get first frost in october here. I was thinking as the sun goes down/temp goes down, the shade clothes arent needed. They helped early on when they didn't harden off in may (temps were around freezing most of may, i was keeping in garage during night and day outside in sun) so they burned a bit on transplant. The shade clothes helped. 

According to that site the solar declination here is less than that, and even further in a months time (say sep 28th).

I live most of the time in Florida, and typicaly, I don't use shade cloth there...  But admittedly, I'd probably get much better results if I did, from May through October (after which I'd certainly remove it). Late season in a more temperate climate is much more subjective, as the previous post indicates.

Back