• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

To taste or not to taste?

Davetaylor said:
I'm still struggling to see the point of using a collectable sauce, after you've eaten it you can't get more even if it was the best sauce you've ever tasted and that would annoy me, and at the end of the day all you are left with is an empty bottle.
And are the most expensive bottles of wine empty bottles or undrinkable liquid?
so if every one else that buys from the same limited run as me and eats the sauce and i keep 1 bottle unopened then i'll have the only one left in the world and that would be unique

Yes but anyone could just say it's the greatest sauce on earth & limited. Like I said, buy a van gough & put it in a cupboard. Take a photo of the label, store that & eat the sauce, it wasn't made for its looks;) Eventually it will be inedible inside the jar & still look the same on the outside.

Or dining in a fine restaurant and having the best meal of your life, you can still smell and taste it....memmories are worth a great deal too.

I also am of the mind that if you buy a sauce it is for eating.

I bought two numbered "Epidemic Proportions" bottles (for Autism Research), #5 & #8 and had to taste it. I opened 8/150 but will keep the 5/150, for a while anyway. It has good heat and a fruity taste…very pleasant through the sweat it produces. Pretty little bottle...looks almost benign.

Ingredients:

Fatalii Chiles, Red Savina Habaneros, Vinegar, Garlic, Onion, Tequilla, Lime Juice, Cilantro, Crushed Red Pepper, naga Jolokia, Mexican Oregano, Salt, Spices.

I got 3 of them bottles winging their way over to the uk i've got #6, #100 and another unknown number,
and one of them is not getting opened, one is being used and i have a special purpose for the 3rd bottle

Just kidding fellin the last beer. lol
I've never heard of this sauce what put you on to it? Got alink... anything with Fatalii in it makes me want to try it.

limited edition doesnt make it a collectors item!
do you really think if the sauce is that great they wouldnt ever make the same sauce again ? or very close to it. then those limited sauces I bet are not that far off in ingredients or taste with their normal line of sauces.

I dont get into buying those "limited edition" "collectors" hot sauce IMO its all hype! I bet Blairs is laughing his ass off all the way to the bank while people keep buying his sauces. almost the same sauces but different name & color of wax :rolleyes:
their "caldera" hot sauce was selling for $900 & the SHU was 1.5 million - 13 million thats pretty vague if you ask me. blairs is nothing more than a mainstream company that sells hot sauces at outrageous prices & slaps "limited or collectors" on everything.
I refuse to buy any of blairs products!

you might say it costs that much to make extract sauces, really ? then explain to me why you can get 4 million shu sauces for $10-$35 or 5 million shu sauces for $40

heres another example daves private reserve 500,000 shu $25
daves limited edition same ingredients only it has more extract 14 million shu $255

I'm with shayne its all hype & nothing more than sales gimmick, & a real limited run of a sauce would still be a short run of the sauce but still sold around the normal price of their other sauces, & maybe again down the road sold again. they're not that special eat them! plus years down the road the sauce would be worthless so enjoy the sauce while its still good.

sorry for my rant.

Don't mind the rant CH...but know this was a good cause...plus the sauce is very good too.....

AJ - my little rant was not directed towards the hot sauces you bought & showed. I dont have a problem with those kind of limited/collector bottles of hot sauce because they're for a good cause & meant to raise money for a good cause. at the time if it was in my budget I'd also buy them, but as you know sometimes the price gets really up there for those types when bidding on things for good causes.

my rant was more towards those hot sauce companys that do it to line their pockets with money, theres plenty of other sauces on the market that are just as good or close enough where you dont need to spend $300 for a $25 - $50 bottle of hot sauce.

like I said in another thread. if you're gonna spend hundreds of dollars on some hot sauce in the hopes of cashing in on it later (IF! you're lucky enough that someone will pay more for it down the road & IF! someone will even buy it)

do yourself a favor & spend that money on some gold or bonds or ?

OK, understand now

The price of some sauces is a joke.
A sauce that is limited and for a good cause is more likely to get me to dip into pocket.
But come on there is a sauce in the shop on this site i think it's a blair's and they are wanting $995, to me that is taking the piss, so i agree with CH about big companies cashing in.
And extract i'd rather buy natural sauces from small independant producers, as they are normal chilli heads like you and me. And they take time and care to make good sauces first and profit second

Back