• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

To top off or not to top off

This is my first year actually growing peppers. I have about 30 or so plants and was wondering if anyone can tell by looking at the photos if these plants need to be topped off. Should I trim them down so that they are bushy or should I leave them alone?

Hab
MBT_0007.jpg

MBT_0004.jpg
Garden

MBT_0006.jpg
Scotch Bonnet

Do they look ok or is there anything that you see that I need to do. They were watered last night.

You're going to get a variety of answers to your question. Some people top off everything. Others don't top anything. Lots of people are in between.

That said, I'm in between. I generally don't top off, especially as young as your plants are - they haven't really even begun to branch yet. However, if I have a plant that is clearly lankier than the others of its same type, I am inclined to top it off.

You're going to get a variety of answers to your question. Some people top off everything. Others don't top anything. Lots of people are in between.

That said, I'm in between. I generally don't top off, especially as young as your plants are - they haven't really even begun to branch yet. However, if I have a plant that is clearly lankier than the others of its same type, I am inclined to top it off.
When would you suggest topping them off. I started them on March 30th. They have been in the garden since Memorial Day weekend so that is a little over a month. A few of them are starting to flower. If they start to flower is it too late to top them off. How do you know when is a good time. I am looking to get a good harvest as I am using them for pepper sauce.

Most of them already Y out. What does topping offer?
I figured that topping them off would make them bushier and give me more peppers...am I wrong. I think I remember pepper joe saying he never trims back his pepper plants but lets them go.

I never top mine, unless we get a freeze here, than i cut them back. I think the ones that i dont top, look much b etter in the long run, but thats just my thought.

I like to top the leggy strains like Jala, just so the Y is lower to the ground. lowering the center of gravity. Sorta a personal preference thing I guess.

Back