• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

storage To wash, or not to wash before Freezing

I've just purchased several pounds of fresh Morugas and Scotch Bonnets directly from the farmer and want to freeze them to last for at least 6 months. I have vacuum sealer. I eat all but stems, so I thought I don't need to cut them up before freezing. My question is about washing them. Some say leave them whole, don't wash them before freezing, wash after thawing. They look very clean already and I think the farmer cleaned them once. I'd wash them again, but it seems like a pain to dry them thoroughly (I'm kind of lazy). I'm tempted to just freeze them as is. I've been doing that with store bought habaneros and it's worked out fine over 3-4 month periods. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I always wash before freezing just in case there is any critters.  I always lay them out whole on a baking sheet and freeze them, then into vacuum bags and back into the freezer.  I've had them stay great for a year.

I would definitely wash them. Shake em off, throw them on a towel, put em in a salad spinner, whatever. Way easier than washing off a frozen or starting to defrost pepper pepper every time.

Definitely wash.  And I'd also suggest cutting in half.  It's not uncommon for a perfect looking pod on the outside to have black seeds and gunk on the inside.  It is a bit more work now, but your future hot sauce will thank you.  After the pods are frozen they are mush when defrosted.  You can't wash defrosted pods.  Well, maybe some do, I wouldn't think it would work very well.  :shrug:  Defrosted pods work great for making a sauce...not so great for trying to trim and check for bad spots. 

Have Fun!
SL

Wow, Thanks for the responses! About washing, I was going to put them in a large ziploc with some water and a splash of vinegar, and shake them a bit. Same as I do with veggies. Then dry them. Any comments?

Just slosh them in a large bowl, clean sink, stock pot, whatever you have and drain in a colander. I wouldn't worry too much about getting them completely dry. Shake the colander to get as much water off as you can, pop off the stem, cut in half to check for bad stuff, into the zipper bag and freeze 'em up.

I'm kind of neurotic about seeing any dark seeds in a beautiful red finished sauce or not knowing if any bad spots are getting into the sauce. After having processed literally hundreds of pounds of peppers, I just put on Pandora, make sure the knife is sharp and get to it. Others arent so concerned. Ya do what you are comfortable with.

Back