• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

dried Toaster Oven Dried Peppers

QuadShotz

Banned
Well, it's summer and in the 80's-90's. The idea of using my enourmous old stove to dry was not pleasant.

Then, I realized my trusty toaster oven has a "defrost" setting thats two notches below the lowest setting of 200 degrees.

Sounds good eh?

Well, Here's how it went:

(1) The washed, stemmed and halved habs started around 8PM

S6301125.JPG

(2) About an hour later...not bad.
S6301132.JPG

(3) Still later..still doing nicely.
S6301137.JPG

(4)Finally around 1:30AM they were done...Awesome!
S6301138.JPG

Then I let them cool and put into a paper bag overnight to allow any remaining moisture to bleed off. They are still pliable though, and the aroma is heavenly. :-D

-QS

Today, I ground them up into powder with a touch of Sea Salt and it's wonderful.

S6301155.JPG

You can really see just how many chilies go into such a small amount of powder. About 1/2 a pound of Orange Habs to make just under an ounce of powder.

It's soooo good though.

Have fun folks!

~QS

i think that 200 degrees are much too hot! if you wanna dry any kind of fruit try it with maximum 70 degrees for several hours.

so the dried stuff, didn't loose any taste and is nearly as fresh taste.

never use an microwave, or any other agressive drying!!

Hotter than hell said:
i think that 200 degrees are much too hot! if you wanna dry any kind of fruit try it with maximum 70 degrees for several hours.

so the dried stuff, didn't loose any taste and is nearly as fresh taste.

never use an microwave, or any other agressive drying!!

No, it's way UNDER 200 degrees...more like 125-150F.

Here's what I'd said.
QuadShotz]it has a "defrost" setting thats [B]two notches below the lowest setting of 200 degrees[/B said:

See:

S6301159.jpg

I know all about high temps and all that..they seem just fine though for powder. I do want to make an ElCheepo box dryer like THSC had, I got the bulbs, but need to build it.

-QS

QuadShotz said:
Today, I ground them up into powder with a touch of Sea Salt and it's wonderful.

S6301155.JPG

You can really see just how many chilies go into such a small amount of powder. About 1/2 a pound of Orange Habs to make just under an ounce of powder.

It's soooo good though.

Have fun folks!

~QS

Great stuff is in it.:mouthonfire:

well, but i think that everything higher than 70 degrees will boil the water in the fruits and if its boiling you'll loose a lotta taste!
i'm cooking for several years and in my opinion 70 degrees are the maximun level for drying something, without loosing any taste.

it takes a longer time, but i think it's tehe best way...try it and you'll agree^^

I don't disagree that lower temp is better, I just don't have any way to do that yet. I figured this was just a fun (and tasty) experiment. :)

I think its the end results that count just like the ones I am smoking never done this before but its in the smoker and after I will dehydrate them to remove the moisture and then grind them up by kind and make sauces out of them to see if I can taste the difference in the peppers You did good "Use the force Luke"

looks exactly like the habs i dried overnight!

way to go man!

ps - i bought another pound of GORGEOUS habs today and a pound of similar quality serranos. These...for sauce#3??

You can probably buy a decent dehydrator for about $25 - one large enough to dry 300 or more habs at a time. I have one and love it - set it to about 85 degrees and turn the peppers over every 12 hours or so.

I want all the moisture removed - if any is left it can only cause problems.

Mike

QuadShotz said:

~QS

Hey Quadshotz, what's the purpose of the sea salt? I've dried and ground up some delicious frutescens and also some cayennes but never added anything to it. Does the salt enhance the flavor or is it a preservative?

It's just for a bit of flavor enhancing and the granules helps it from caking in the bottle.

It'll be eating long before it could go bad, if that's even possible. :)

I'm using it tonight in a blend of herbs mixed with butter for roasting a 4lb. boneless turkey breast. (weird I know, but it's a very good product.)

Smells great already, but has an hour and a half yet.

Diabolus said:
Hey Quadshotz, what's the purpose of the sea salt? I've dried and ground up some delicious frutescens and also some cayennes but never added anything to it. Does the salt enhance the flavor or is it a preservative?
That's the difference between a powder and a seasoning. Additives = seasoning.

I didn't say it as a bad thing. Nothing wrong with a good seasoning.

Looks great! I dried a bunch of habs last year and also received a pretty low amount of powder taking the number of pods I used into account.

About the temperature: I think Hth was talking about Celsius, thus the misunderstanding. Would be quite a toaster oven that goes up to 400+°F!!!! :)

My excess dried powders are being used for pest control this year. After the coons destroyed 1 corn plant, the other got loaded up with naga powder and so far the buggers haven't returned. The deer have also learned the power of the Naga:)

Chiliac said:
About the temperature: I think Hth was talking about Celsius, thus the misunderstanding. Would be quite a toaster oven that goes up to 400+°F!!!! :)

Actually, it does go to over 475°F if ya check that pic.
IDK how hot Broil is as I've never measured it..but I regularly cook in it at 400-450F

It's a tough old Kenmore beasty. :)

Back