• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomato and Pepper Seedlings

Spent part of the day cleaning up a spot in the basement. He was about 60 today, with mostly sunny skies, but the basement was still cool - probably no warmer than 60-62. I figure that is the perfect environment to raise seedlings until it warms up enough I don't have to worry about prolonged freezing nights outside, since my GH tends to be a degree or two colder than the outside, at least in the early morning period. For the time being, I'm using a 600 watt, 36,000 lumen, 5000K MH bulb. There is only 208 seedlings growing, though I want to start another 208 this weekend. They are in horticubes, setting in a 1020 nursery tray lined with plastic. I keep water in the tray, since the cubes don't mind too much water but the plants will die quickly if the cubes dry out.

These plants were probably started too early - my goal is to transplant them in at least six weeks, maybe more based on the forecast. They are Early Wonder, a 55-day variety. I can keep them under Agribon but that only means I am safe at no lower than 28 degrees. But... if we have a warm and sunny spring, it would mean I would mature, juicy maters in late June. Produce that should fetch about $3/lb. at a Farmer's Market. I can live with this!

Mike

Back