• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomato Damage Question - Something Is Eating My Stems 04-26-09

yup...I got something eating the stems of my plants...at first I thought it may be slugs....so I put slug bait out...then I thought it was rats so I put rat traps and red fox urine in the bed....now I a thinking mice?...they seem to be eating the stems like a beaver....

three pics showing the damage...

042409002.jpg

042409003.jpg

third pic shows damage to low limbs but not to the main stem yet...

042409004.jpg

anyone with any suggestions if it isn't mice, please tell me....

just looked at the photos, I see a rollypolly...wondering if they eat tomato stems...they gotta eat something...

Nevermind...I think it is pill bug/sow bug damage...I forgot to water in the bait I put out...I watered it in and so that should take care of my problem...was reading about pill bugs and DE is a good alternative too...

thats a pill bug/roly poly in the first pic Derek and I think that is the problem...we will see if the bait works after I watered it in...if I do have cutworms, the bait will also take care of them...thanks for the response man..

Looks like mice maybe At first I thought maybe tree rats but they bite the whole thing and same with rats plus they usually carry the plants off. I bet if you get you some of them sticky catchers you find out really quick in one night. My bet is on mice Rolly polllies don't eat that much so my bet is on mice

thats what I originally thought too Okie...the bait for the insects should be doing the trick...sticky mice traps will be put in today...if it ever stops raining...

Ciao AJ-

I agree with Potawie, I think it's a cutworm. Take a plastic party cup and cut it down the side, then cut the bottom out. Wrap that around your plant and shove it into the soil about 2" or so, then tape the cup closed so it's like a little collar. Cutworms curl around the stem and eat it at the soil surface. After you add the collar, mound soil above the damage and water well. Your plants will form more roots along the damaged stem and hopefully your plants will live through this.

well, I lost anohther two plants last night...cut off at the ground...it is either mice or cutworms (just read about them)...I have cutworm bait out for the cutworms and also put some sticky traps (12 of 'em) next to the plants...we will see what I catch tonight...

no mice, one katydid, and a few roly polys...the bait worked and it was good for the eradication of what ever was eating them...after reading a bunch of stuff, and from the Potawie and Sorellina said, I am convinced it was cutworms...the bait took care of them too...I now have healthy tomatos that are growing and blooming very well...

here are a couple of shots...first on is one of the Burpee Sweet Seedless Hybrids

0430091002.jpg

I didn't look to see which one his was but it is growing well...as are all the other 26...

0430091004.jpg

That's one reason I love vines, they grow like friggin weeds and even a bit of damage doesn't slow things down. Glad to hear you got it sorted out AJ!

AJ,
It looks like cut worms. Get a nail and stick in the soil next to the stem and tie the stem to the nail. That's a little trick my Grandad showed me years ago

BrianS said:
AJ,
It looks like cut worms. Get a nail and stick in the soil next to the stem and tie the stem to the nail. That's a little trick my Grandad showed me years ago

Do they not like the metal on the nails?

Back