Tomato Pepper Conundrum

cone9

eXtreme
I find this rather interesting.
Nigel sent me seed for Tomato Peppers.  I am growing two plants.

This is the first plant on 6-3-2014.  It looks like I expect a Tomato Pepper to look.

And these pics are of the other plant.
On 6-4-2014:

And the same pods on 6-12-2014:

today (6-13-14) the two green/purple pods in the center above are more elongated , pointed and curving...

...while this solid purple pod is blocky and lobed.   Two distinct color variations and three pods shapes clumped together on this plant!

They are certainly beautiful pods.  Some have started as an eggplant purple and some started green and are getting more purple as they grow.
I'm uncertain how I will decide when they are 'ripe'.  I guess I will watch for another color change around the time these are as old as the normal looking pods on the first plant.  

Something this beautiful has to taste good!

Nice looking plants Dave!  Definitely love seeing the variation of shapes and colors.  Are they going to be hot or sweet type?

I need to post some pics of the plants now growing from seed you sent me.  :)

They tend to be very variable early and late in the year, but a lot more consistent in the summer. All the ones I`ve had turn from green to deep, dark purple when in full sun, then red when ripe. Lots of purple in the calyx, too. 

I`ve seen pods like all of those on my single pant and it is currently flowering and setting pods, so I`ll post photos when they pods develop.

SmokenFire said:
Nice looking plants Dave!  Definitely love seeing the variation of shapes and colors.  Are they going to be hot or sweet type?

I need to post some pics of the plants now growing from seed you sent me.   :)

Thanks Dru.  These are sweet peppers.  I have not eaten them before but they are said to be very sweet and crunchy!
I'd enjoy seeing how your plants are doing.  Do post some pics.
Nigel said:
They tend to be very variable early and late in the year, but a lot more consistent in the summer. All the ones I`ve had turn from green to deep, dark purple when in full sun, then red when ripe. Lots of purple in the calyx, too. 

I`ve seen pods like all of those on my single pant and it is currently flowering and setting pods, so I`ll post photos when they pods develop.
Thanks for the info Nigel.  I hope you're not spent yet caring for all your plants!
I love the looks of these peppers.  I also have some Dulce de Dulce pods setting.  I'm quite anxious to try both!

Thanks, Nigel.  That does look just like one of my plants.  On the other the peppers are all a solid light green- the plant those looks the same.

Back