• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomato Supports

Greetings Everyone,

Last year I grew my tomatoes in 18 gal plastic totes which worked great for me. For supports I used a center pole then cages. Didn't really like them by the end of the season. I'll be sitting them in a line. I remember seeing some ideas of what other folks have done. Things like PVC frames some using netting all kinds of good ideas. I was thinking I saw a bunch of ideas here but haven't been able to find them. If anyone remembers that thread could you be so kind as to lead me in the right direction ?

Thanks & Peace,
P. Dreadie

Try searching for the Florida weave which is a popular technique, or make large cages out of concrete reinforcement wire, or wire fencing(large grid type)

Thanks POTAWIE,

Good food for thoughts. I came up with several sites showing examples of the Florida weave. Any other ideas out there? I'd like to ponder twice and build once .

Peace,
P. Dreadie

here is our florida weave..

022.jpg

007.jpg

mmcdermott1 ...... What's your guess on how tall your plants get ? I like what you're using for the uprights. Those would be easy to drive into the ground. But those might not work for me. The totes I use are 17" tall then I place those on cinder blocks. The reason for the cinder blocks is so I "see" the run off when I water. I have questions about watering too but maybe I should start another thread for that subject.

Thanks for the photos.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Our Romas (in picture) usually get around 2' maybe a bit more. we start off with one weave on bottom and keep working up as they grow. We usually end up with 3-4 levels of the bale twine.
You can buy the bale twine at a farm supply for almost nothing. We got a 2000' roll for like cheap. Good thing I bought a lot of tposts years ago cause the price of those are OUTRAGEOUS now.

As far as watering...we drench ours every couple of days and they are even under black plastic mulch. Tomatoes really seem to suck up the water. I have one big one in with my peppers right now and I have to soak it every single day unlike peppers which is like once a week.

Could still work for you...you can buy Tposts up to i think 8' tall. So you would still have plenty above the height of your setup.

Not to be a smart ass, make yourself a fence post pounder works. that hand looks like it hurt. i made tomato supports from 1/2 electrical conduit bend as you need and couple, for the length you need can also cover with 6X6 net you can buy net at wal mart or home depot. I pound 24 " X 1/2 " rebar into ground to slide conduit over

Man .... that does look sick !! I don't do that ... I've been a carpenter most my life. I learned to be careful after a few purple thumb nails .... just joking I know that one wasn't funny in the least.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Back