• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomato talk 2009

Ciao Derek-

If you're getting ripe big tomatoes like German Red Strawberry, you're really ahead of the game for our climate. I set out my transplants on 24 May and as of yet, the only ripe ones I've gotten are the Whippersnappers and Micro-dwarfs (Tigerette Cherry, Red Robin, and Florida Petite). Even my early determinates aren't showing a sign of blush yet. That being said, I really can't complain as those patio tomatoes are providing enough cherries for garden fresh salads. I can wait for the big ones. I'm still getting 0.5-1 lb of edible-podded peas per day! That tells you what kind of weather we're having.

By the way, Derek, you're growing my still all-time favourite black tomato, Black From Tula. I'm looking forward to reading your honest appraisal. ;) I'm growing Zapotec Pleated for the second time. Some people have said it can be hollow and mealy, but when I grew it in 2007, it had a very dense flesh and was quite juicy and fantastic-tasting for a so-called 'novelty'. Be prepared for HUGE slices that will cover a slice of Italian Calabrese bread easily. I use them fresh to show off the pleats in open-faced bruschetta or bacon-nasturtium-tomato sandwiches.

BigT, tell you what..have a look at this website and you pick out some tomatoes that appeal to you.

http://mitglied.lycos.de/rkraft/Tomatenfotos/

I don't have seeds for ALL of Reinhardt's stuff, but if I don't, I have something very similar to what you're looking for.

I'm only growing 6 large slicing tomatoes. With all the others I grow, I can only keep up with that many for fresh eating. Most of what I grow is for sauce and other canning adventures like ketchup, paste, picante sauce, caponata, that sort of thing. Having said that, the ones I AM growing this year are Aunt Ruby's German Green, a luscious, almost spicy green-when-ripe beefsteak, Marianna's Peace, an absolutely huge potato-leafed pink beefsteak, Chocolate Stripes, growing for the first time, striped black beefsteak, Dr. Wyche's Yellow, growing for the first time, one of the best yellow beefsteaks according to many long-time growers, Lucky Cross, a late-harvest potato-leafed bicolour (yellow/orange/red streaked), which, for me anyway, has the best flavour of all of the bicolours I've grown, and finally, Neve's Azorean Red, grown for the first time finally, one of the best red beefsteaks according to long-time growers. My beefsteak row is the hardest row for me to settle on every year because the lion's share of the seeds I have in my collection are big slicers and I only grow 6. :rolleyes:

I'm just starting to get a few larger tomatos. Unfortunately the weather is wet and terrible again this year, and birds, critters and whitefly are becoming a problem now too.
Here's my first real harvest. In no real order:Black cherry, tiny Tim, reisetomate, german red strawberry, opalka, black from Tula, summer cider, bulgarian #7
3769825496_feb6c1ceee.jpg

Ciao Derek-

I need a quarter or something for scale. I'm thinking Bulgarian #7 is the one on its side? When I grew them, they were about 6 oz or so, some a bit less. Which one is the GRS, it's usually a fairly large-ish tomato? If I were to guess, I'd say it's just to the left of the BFT. And your BFT looks a tad small, hopefully your next ones will be larger. Normally, they're a pound or more for me. Let me know how the Summer Cider does for you, I've not grown that one. You've also got some large orange cherries, what are those, Jaune Flammee maybe?

I have no idea what you did to get harvests already, Derek, but you're definitely doing something right because your climate's worse than mine and I'm not seeing any blush out in the garden yet, apart from the plants I started in Feb. My main crop tomato plant-out date was 24 May. It was very cool here in Toronto up until then. I wasn't even sure if I'd be able to plant out before the end of May.

Ciao Julliana,
I didn't start planting till the middle/end of June but everything got an early start indoors and then into the greenhouse. Some in the pic are quite small but larger ones are on the way. Next pic I'll add something for scale. My Bulgarian #7's aren't doing well, they are the smaller yellowish ones and I picked them early since they were splitting badly. I have some huge German red strawberrys coming but so far only harvested smaller ones like the three on the left(from the green one down) and my BFT's are becoming very productive and getting big too. All the round red cherry toms in the pic are tiny Tims of different sizes.
Now if we can just can some consistant warm weather, and a break from the rain, then maybe the season will turn out alright

Potawie, those toms are looking great. Pity about the wet weather again for you guys this year.

They are forecasting a really hot and dry summer for us this year, Hottest is many years so I'm thinking that I'm going to need to set up some shade cloth over my toms to protect from the sun at the hotest part of the day....

Ciao Derek-

Anthony Farnell, my favourite meteorologist on Global, said August should be hot and dry, so I'm taking him at his word. The GRS you have in the middle looks fairly typical, although the view is from the top. The one on the bottom looks odd to me, but oftentimes, the first ripe ones can be off-type. You know, I always have at least one variety that struggles. It sounds like maybe Bulgarian #7 is that one for you. My Box Car Willie was a late addition because one of my Power's Heirlooms didn't make it. The seedling was smallish to begin with and it's got more than its share of yellow leaves, which I continue to prune off. So far, it's got 2 fruit on it. We have another 2 months before the days get too short to make a difference so let's hope they all count.

The Bulgarian#7 was a variety I ordered for my father who chose it, but he decided he didn't have time to grow them this year so I started a few plants quite late along with a few reisentraubes that he picked out too.

Ciao Derek-

I'm growing Riesentraube as well, another last minute addition because my Black Zebra Cherry didn't make it. My God, those flower clusters are insane eh! The plant is about 3 ft tall, but it's suckering like crazy and putting out HUGE sprays of blossoms, MOST of which are getting pollinated. I knew Riesentraube was a cherry that had the potential of taking over the planet when I agreed to take it from a friend, but let's hope it doesn't get as tall as Yellow Pear, another scary cherry.

Back