• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomato varieties

No use stopping in the middle of a trip! :crazy:

For my fair project (raised bed with lots of veggies) I can donate three rows to tomatoes, say nine plants. What nine types (not specific plants) would you recommend?

I'm thinking:
Beefsteak
Roma
Cherry/Grape
Striped
Yellow &/or White
Potawie's Hideous Type
Purple &/or Black

Others, or specific breeds?

Again, they need to have fruit by August 10!

TIA,

Mike

You could try Al-Kuffa which Baker Creek has. It is a compact plant and bears loads of saladet tomatoes. And the flavor is really good.

Kevin

Ciao Mike-

Based on your criteria for ripening, I'd personally go with varieties with Early in the name and definitely determinates which usually do ripen earlier. You can also get an even earlier start with determinates if you grow them in containers because you can always pull the containers inside if the weather gets nasty. I'd go with these:

Beefsteak : Clear Pink Early
Roma : Heidi or Martino's Roma
Cherry/Grape : Koralik
Striped : Tigerette Cherry or Plum Tigris
Yellow &/or White : Citron Compact or Beaute Blanche du Quebec
Potawie's Hideous Type : lol those are indeterminate and later-maturing, but I did grow Voyage (same deal as Reisetomate) in a container
Purple &/or Black : Black Sea Man or Black Plum (actually semi-determinate but totally doable in a container)

So types, I'd recommend early determinates to get your maturity due date. You didn't put down a stuffer but Plum Tigris falls into that category. It's a paste type but it's fairly hollow and can be used as a stuffer type. You also didn't mention a fuzzy type. Roughwood Golden Tiger is a semi-determinate that grows to about 4 ft and is doable in a container. It has the angora gene so all parts of the plant are fuzzy.

I hope that helps.

Sorellina,

Thanks, I completely forgot about the stuffers. I want to try a plant or two of these in my garden. I need to collect recipes

FWIW, I'll have about 90 days for the toms to ripen, which is going to be long enough for most types. But if I have to cheat, I can do that, since I have (finally!) had luck cloning plants. I could sow seeds tomorrow, let them grow until April, take a large cutting and if what I have read is right, it would produce tomatoes in just a couple of months.

Mike

The rules are that you have to grow black krim and mail ½ to me by sameday delivery. Sorry, dems de rules

Back