• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomato with three cotyledons, is it worth saving seeds?

I grew tomatoes when I was a child, I had a short growing season so did a little breeding work to try and make a shorter season tomato plant.  I made reasonable progress over the years all things considered. 

Back then I was rather taken by tomato seedlings with three cotyledons so used them in breeding whenever I could.  I hoped to breed a variety that always had three but it has been too many years so I don't remember how often they threw three cotyledons.

Recently I have been given some of my old seeds that were very old and I planted them.  I planted lots of seeds and two have germinated.  One has the normal two cotyledons, the other has three.  I only have space to grow out one of these plants, which one should I keep and eventually save seeds from?  Will they both be much the same, or will the one with three cotyledons be weaker? 

It has been far too long since I last grew these to remember if it made any difference and would like to hear people's advice.

Grow them both as long as you can and pick the healthier more dominant of the two would be my choice.

Take some pics and report back on their progress so we can follow along  ;)

Back