• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Too Cold?

So I'm looking at the weather forecast and it says its gonna get down to 5C (40F) in a couple of days, I've just put all my chilli plants and a few aubergine plants out as well, they're now in the ground so there will be no moving them. Do people think they will be ok (the aubergines I think are less tolerant of cold than the peppers), here is the actual forecast for the next few days...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/br5

With weather like that should I be taking preventative measures against the cold (if so, what?) or do you reckon they'll be alright?

Cheers

Matt

If your plants are properly hardened off they should be OK. If not... maybe you could cover them with some kind of agricultural row cover. I used Agribon 19 fabric this spring while hardening off my chiles, tomatoes and eggplant. If they're still young and tender you might have to improvise some kind of framework to keep the fabric off your plants.. Cheers

Thanks guys, luckily they are completely hardened off. I'll have a root around in the garage for something appropriate to put over them, just to take the edge off the cold. Just as long as they don't snuff it or stop growing for ages I'll be happy

I'll have a root around in the garage for something appropriate to put over them.
Sorry, it's way off topic, but that sentence reminded me of when we first moved from the UK to Australia. My wife was at work and someone asked if she'd seen an item they were looking for, and she said "no, but i'll have a root around for it" and got some REALLY strange looks!! We then found out that "root" here means "to have sex"...lol
Needless to say we've stopped using that phrase now!

Sorry, it's way off topic, but that sentence reminded me of when we first moved from the UK to Australia. My wife was at work and someone asked if she'd seen an item they were looking for, and she said "no, but i'll have a root around for it" and got some REALLY strange looks!! We then found out that "root" here means "to have sex"...lol

Haha, I know what you mean, I lived just outside Sydney for a short while. I also love the term mole (not sure why), "Shut up you mole" "ah rack off you winker", hehe I love the aussies. Where abouts is Geelong?

I remember going to the UK for the first time in June of '81. I hadn't planned it that way up front, but it turned out that my stay coincided with the wedding of Charles Windsor and Diana Spencer. My host's eldest daughter took me over to Hyde Park in London by motor coach to see the fireworks display the night before the wedding but the whole city was mobbed with people and we didn't get back to St Albans until about four in the morning I was heading off to bed then, and you should have seen my face when they asked me when I wanted to be "knocked up" that morning to get ready to watch the ceremony on telly.

I remember going to the UK for the first time in June of '81. I hadn't planned it that way up front, but it turned out that my stay coincided with the wedding of Charles Windsor and Diana Spencer. My host's eldest daughter took me over to Hyde Park in London by motor coach to see the fireworks display the night before the wedding but the whole city was mobbed with people and we didn't get back to St Albans until about four in the morning. I I was heading off to bed then, and you should have seen my face when they asked me when I wanted to be "knocked up" that morning to get ready to watch the ceremony on telly.

I live fairly close to where you visited stickman and I've gotta say I've never heard anyone use that one before. Might have been just something your friend says possibly.

Someone should start a thread of favourite/least favourite slang from around the world, that'd be an animated one I think. ;)

*** Just googled knocked up uk slang and apparently it is something people say, how strange that I've literally never heard of that before, to me knocked up just means pregnant and always had done, well you learn something new everyday :dance: ***

I live fairly close to where you visited stickman and I've gotta say I've never heard anyone use that one before. Might have been just something your friend says possibly.

Someone should start a thread of favourite/least favourite slang from around the world, that'd be an animated one I think. ;)

*** Just googled knocked up uk slang and apparently it is something people say, how strange that I've literally never heard of that before, to me knocked up just means pregnant and always had done, well you learn something new everyday :dance: ***
That must be what he meant when (I believe) George Bernard Shaw said "England and America are two countries separated by a common language."

You`ll be fine with the weather, Like Nee im also from "Pomgolia" and when i first got here in 95 i heard the term "Mole" i pissed myself when i found out what it meant "she`s an ugly mole" :D

Mezo.

Back