• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Too late to plant?

Alright guys,

Finally my Naga jolokia seeds arrived along with some surprising free thai red chili. Quick question, is it too late into the season to start growing my jolokia? from reading some posts they take a long time to grow and coming to the end of April im abit concerned that it'll be winter before I get any pods or will I just make it?

any advice would be great!

What part of Scotland? Indoors or outdoors or greenhouse?

Outdoors you`ll struggle to get fruit, even if you are in Fife, where it`s mild most of the year. Indoors with a proper set-up you should be Ok. In a greenhouse, you may or may not get fruit. However, you could grow this year and read up on overwintering plants, then have a huge head start next year. Or you could try to buy some plants from somewhere in the UK. I don`t know any of these suppliers, just did a quick Google search.

http://www.pottersplants.co.uk/

http://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/shop/chilli-products/chilli-plants-by-post.html

Depends on how long you will have warm/hot temps for. If you have a long grow season then you might be fine. You can always grow outdoors then bring em in and grow indoors under lights when temps get cold. Of course you would have to plant em in pots instead of ground using this method for growing.

Will you get pods? It depends upon your growing conditions. That said, it's never too early to get a head start for the following season. Just bring the plants indoors to overwinter when the temps get too cold, then you'll be ahead of the game for next year.

You could always invest in a hid and do it in pots inside. I'm getting pods already and prolly car pant out for a couple weeks. There not ripe yet but i have a better start than any one else in my neighborhood.

Will you get pods? It depends upon your growing conditions. That said, it's never too early to get a head start for the following season. Just bring the plants indoors to overwinter when the temps get too cold, then you'll be ahead of the game for next year.

I was gonna say exactly what Geemeroni said. Too late to plant? Never! To late for pods this year? Maybe.... but hell, plant 'em anyway and get a jumpstart on next year, that way when the growing season hits, you'll be making flowers and pods instead of waiting for the first true leaves.

It's not unusual for me to germinate peppers later in the season when I want to grow them the following season. I'm doing this right now with Manzanos and Harold St. Barts.

I planted in August and September last year, and with a few of them, I wish I'd started even before that. They've been flowering their stigmas off all winter, so they've got an awesome head start. I also plan on starting a couple pubescen varieties fairly soon and letting them overwinter, since I've heard that they don't produce much the first year anyway. (I've got a large south facing window so I've only been using natural light. I'll look into a light rig this coming winter)

Back