• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Too late to start baccatums?

Hello all

So my plants are coming along nicely now. Starting to get some true leaves emerging, and I've managed to avoid killing any besides the few I've culled. (God that's hard to do!:( )

I've got some Lemon drop and Bishop's crown seeds in the mail recently, and I believe some Cumaris on the way (chinense). I'm thining it's too late to start superhots here in zone 7 like scorps or 7pots, but what about baccatums (and the Cumari). Should they be okay?

FiveStar, chinense's in general are slow growers not just the superhots. If you have the room to grow the extra plants what would it hurt to start now but if you are limited than I would plant some annuums instead of the chinense. As far as the baccatums I think you would be alright planting those also. Pam likes to grow the baccatums maybe she could help more on thier growth habits.

Dale

Unless you're limited on seeds why not? Is there even such an animal as too many pepper plants? I think not!!

Good to hear. I'm quickly running out of room under the lights, but hey, might be time to kick the girlfriends flowers and basils out!

FiveStar said:
Good to hear. I'm quickly running out of room under the lights, but hey, might be time to kick the girlfriends flowers and basils out!
All it takes is room. Soon the kictbhen will be converted into another grown area.

Bacca's grow very fast. I have a Aji Cito and Aji Cristal ( 2 on the right). Germinated 5 weeks ago.

imaguitargod said:
Ya, but you are going hydro and that always causes things to grow a heck of a lot faster.

Me:?::?:
I'm not growing on hydro, I've just put some Seramis on top of the soil.

But what does makes a difference is my CFL's :lol:

I'm under floro tubes, so I can't imagine growth like that in 5 weeks. Mine have been up for about 2.5, and I'm just now getting first leaves.

Either way, the baccatum seeds go for a good soak tonight. Tomorrow, it's into the pro-mix and onto the hot pad.

FiveStar said:
I'm under floro tubes, so I can't imagine growth like that in 5 weeks. Mine have been up for about 2.5, and I'm just now getting first leaves.

Either way, the baccatum seeds go for a good soak tonight. Tomorrow, it's into the pro-mix and onto the hot pad.

Any specs on those Floro tubes?

Last season I started Orange Habaneros, Red Habaneros, and what turned out to be a yellowish orangy scotch bonnets during the 3rd week of March. All produced a ton of pods. I think I got my first ripe pod between the 3rd and 4th week of August. So I would say go for it.

lee said:
Me:?::?:
I'm not growing on hydro, I've just put some Seramis on top of the soil.

But what does makes a difference is my CFL's :lol:
OH! I'm sorry! I thought you had a hydro set up for some reason. my bad! :oops:

So, I think it just feeeels like 2.5 weeks. Actually, my first hooks came up about 2 weeks ago. All my plants have only been up for about a week, so I guess I'm not that far off.

As far as the flouro tubes go, I'm running 4 tubes, two of which are unknown, as they were bought by a roommate last year, and the other two are GE Ecolux plant/aquarium T12 40watts, 1900 lumens. I have one of each in each fixture.

lee said:
I've got 2x(2x55)CFL's. Total lumen output 20000

Aren't they T5 HO bulbs and not cfls tho? That's what I have, they're only 2 feet long and single bulbs so they're only 26W with 2500 lumens apiece.

I think the term CFL refers to the ones that are bulb & ballast combined in one disposable package. Like the spiral ones.

Back