• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Too much heat!

This is my first year growing peppers and I think I have done pretty well and growing some beautiful plants. The problem is that the D/FW heat seems to because flower drop all summer long as I am yet to eat 1 pepper off my plants. I have 2 nice billy bikers, 2 nice size thai, and 3 aji lemon. I have had them outside since april and they get full sun all day. Is it the Texas 100+ degrees heat that causes them to flower drop? If so what can I do to help them cool off. My back yard is direct straight south and does not really have any breaks in sun.

I think I read that temperatures consistently over 90 degrees or something will kill pollen.
You may want to look into getting some shade cloth for your plants.

Very nice choice of varieties! Every one of those are in my list of favorite peppers!

Don't worry about the blossom drop. Just keep your plants healthy and alive until it cools off, then you will have plenty of fruit. Here in NW Louisiana, near Shreveport, I've been battling the heat too, and am just beginning to harvest my very first Aji Limon pods. Love 'em!

Very nice choice of varieties! Every one of those are in my list of favorite peppers!

Don't worry about the blossom drop. Just keep your plants healthy and alive until it cools off, then you will have plenty of fruit. Here in NW Louisiana, near Shreveport, I've been battling the heat too, and am just beginning to harvest my very first Aji Limon pods. Love 'em!

oops!

This is my first year growing peppers and I think I have done pretty well and growing some beautiful plants. The problem is that the D/FW heat seems to because flower drop all summer long as I am yet to eat 1 pepper off my plants. I have 2 nice billy bikers, 2 nice size thai, and 3 aji lemon. I have had them outside since april and they get full sun all day. Is it the Texas 100+ degrees heat that causes them to flower drop? If so what can I do to help them cool off. My back yard is direct straight south and does not really have any breaks in sun.

irregular or overwatering will also cause it, so will too much N, and, or, a boron defiency

Temperatures much above 32c (90f) will cause flower drop. I lost almost 3 months of production because of it. Temps are now back to about 90f max and I just harvested 47 orange Habs this morning. So when it cools down to the low 90's you'll likely start getting pods. Cheers.

Back