• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Too wet?

Day 3 of my grow and I'm using raid rooter type plugs which I soaked in distilled water before adding seed. I also sprayed them good from the top before I domed them up. At present I am not filling the tray underneath with water. Today the domes are very sweaty and I checked to see if by chance the needed moisture. Not only do they not need it I'm worried they may be too wet. In the pic below I pushed in slightly on the plug to attemp to show you guys how wet they are.

IMG_8330.jpg

Do they look too wet? Should I remove the domes for a bit? Is this something that should be done from time to time ? I am new to growing from seed and fairly new to this site .. I started a Glog in the Glog section and didn't know if I should post this question here or there lol .. Don't quite have THP etiquette down yet. I did turn the two vents on each dome full open and drained off the water accumulated on the dome.

I wouldn't worry about it, excess water will drain out of the cell. As long as they're not floating. lol It's only been three days..give em' a chance. Over watering really comes into play once they have sprouted. If you feel so inclined you can leave the domes off for a few hours...well really you can leave them off for as long as you like as long as the cells don't dry out and the temps are good. The dome is good but not necessary. Seeds go through some tough stuff, they can handle it, you would be surprised. Good luck. Keep us posted.

I am by no means an expert on growing as this is my first year. But looks to me they are way too wet. I have mine in the dome as well and just barely (not Barley) :scared: keep them damp. I wet them down and let the moisture build up on the dome and pull the top off a couple of times a day to let them get some air. Not sure if this the right way but seems to be working a little. I have mine just damp too the touch and give them a squirt with a sprayer when they start to dry up on top. So far I have had 15 jalpaneno, 4 Bhut Jolokia, 5 Choc Habs, 2 Orange Habs and some eggplant pop in about 7 days. Big Jims and the Anaheims took a couple extra days.

Yes, they are too wet. Try to find a balance - they should be damp, but not wet. If you keep them that wet, nasties may start growing, which in turn will kill your seedlings. Also, peppers in general tend to prefer dryer (but not bone-dry) conditions >>> keep that in mind throughout your grow.

It's too wet. After they germinate the seedlings will rot. I guess don't put the dome back on so the water can escape.

Thanks guys I popped the domes and put a fan on em. After a couple of hours will dome em back up and from then on out think they should be ok. I'm gonna leave the vents full open from her on out too.

Back