• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water Tooooo Much Water?

Well, another problem I'm coming across is the yellowing of this tomato plant. My other tomato plant seems to be doing fine, but this one appears to be very yellow. I hear the most common cause of yellowing leaves in tomatos is overwatering, please feel free to correct me :/

000_0201.jpg

Picture was taken WITH THE FLASH ON. So a little of that light isnt on the plant.

Straticus, from the look of the container it does not look to be over watered maybe lacking some nutrients but thats just a guess. It does'nt look yellow actually just a shade of light green.

Dale

I think i found the problem , there is still some moisture in the bottom of the soil area, even with a single drain hole I think im going to have to cut a few more holes, I dont want these roots sitting in soggy soil :( That may be the problem. It looks dry because I havent been watering it, due to the fact I think I have overwatered. I will have to wait and see what happens.

I think you said you are using 16 oz cups...I drill four 1/4 inch holes (about) in the bottom of each of my 16's and 3 in my 9 oz cups.

Yea, I only have one pretty decent hole in the bottom of my 9 ounce. I just put one on each side, now totaling 3 holes as well, but the water still isnt coming out, Im wondering if i can transplant this one before its to late, as its still has water logged soil :(

Straticus said:
Yea, I only have one pretty decent hole in the bottom of my 9 ounce. I just put one on each side, now totaling 3 holes as well, but the water still isnt coming out, Im wondering if i can transplant this one before its to late, as its still has water logged soil :(

You only need one decent hole in the cup. Does the water have space to drain?

However, the soil around the top of the tomato plant in the picture is not too wet, it's too dry.

Well the reason it was so dry was because I was afraid I was watering it to much. I dont think it would turn that yellow color because of to little watering, it would wilt. And its not wilting yet, its just curling its leafs and turning yellow. I think im going to cut some more drainage holes in another cup and just move it into another cup with new soil.

It looks to me like you need to water the plant. It may need a little plant food misted on it to perk it up--1/2 strength mix of a water soluable plant food with micro nutrients should help it.

Alan

it could just be yellowy-green cuz it's young...

AlabamaJack said:
I think you said you are using 16 oz cups...I drill four 1/4 inch holes (about) in the bottom of each of my 16's and 3 in my 9 oz cups.

you're not by any chance employing some sort of 'x oz requires root x holes' formula there, are you? i'm not sure i would have thought you'd do that had i never seen the extent of your logging...

No, I'm not personally. Well the top leaf is curling, which is not a good sign at all. There is no sign of bugs what so ever, so Im thinking about transplanting into some sort of better drained soil. I dont know what exactly to use, I know miracle gro offers their "cactus mix" with soil into it, maybe mix that with something else? Or maybe use some superthrive or epsom salt mixed into water to spray the leaves of the plant?

Is this the only one that is doing the yellowing of the leaves or is the others also? The top does look very dry I would transplant in different soil

i honest to god don't think it's too much water. tomatoes like it a little moist so when they say overwatering they mean the soil is sopping wet constantly. young leaves come in lighter and some might take longer then others to darken up, i actually think the plant looks fine but that's just my opinion.

Yea, this is the only one thats doing it, its a variety called white queen, which produces white tomatoes. It may be just this varietys type of leaf color, not really sure but I"ll transplant it tomorrow regardless just to ease my uncertain mind.

i think you're just freaking out dude : ). as long as it is healthy Feeling. strong, not droopy. it's fine. it hardly has leaves let it grow a little before you call the wambulance! :) to me it is looking really healthy. see all that deep green in the veins and how it gets lighter to the end of the leaf? just wait for the green to spread. and then give it a light nute formula so it doesn't have any deficiencies.

I think its a soil problem cheap potting mix drys out quick and looses anything proactive for the plant real quick.
you get stunting and stuff.
I use peat based potting mixes cut with vermiculite and sand... works for me anyway.

I think the soil is too dry, and it's causing some micronutrient deficiency problems with the plant. I would not transplant it into anything from Miracle Grow, then you lose all control of what and when to fertilize your plant. Now, I would suggest maybe you get some Miracle Grow soluble plant food, dilute it to half strength, and water with it. Miracle Grow Soluble Plant food does have all the micro-nutrients in it, and is a good way to give the plant a quick boost. Only use it once or twice though, it's still very high nitrogen.

Well I got home today and I transplanted it, and I payed special attention to the roots, and as I had expected, the roots were still wet, the soil wasnt properly draining. So I potted it up in the same soil, and I did feed it with water soluble tomato plant food. Hoping this helps everything.

Back